Smoke in artillery barrage

What is the deal with white smoke with Artillery fire?

I love the realistic explosion effects of mortar rounds but the Artillery fire causes white smoke similar to "smoke gernades" (secondary mortar ammo) whereas it should cause the same effect as primary mortar ammo (explosion with fire and no white smoke).

What I love about TOW is the realistic nature of simulations and animations but this Artillery white smoke is really bothering me. Am I missing something? Is there a way to change the smoke rounds to regular explosive rounds? Is this a bug?

Please advise. I've seen real artillery fire and it is NOT white smoke unless special ammo is used to take line of sight away but that is not my intention! I want to see the HE rounds exploding around enemy but instead all I see is a white fog around the area where Artillery rounds are falling. It is very annoying. Please let me know if there is a way to change to regular ammo for Artillery.

Much obliged.

Over and out.

Never mind. The mission is hard coded to use smoke barrage!!

But I have another issue with Artillery!! I have artilerry units (7.5cm PAK 40) which refuse to fire! They have full ammo and I direct them to use area ground fire but they simply do not fire and just sit on their ass and wipe sweat off their foreheads!!

Please let me know if you know why this behaviour is happening.

Over and out.

well, probably, no clear line of fire; they probably can see the ennemy, but can't shoot the gun at the target for a reason or an other. Try to check the message window - usually, there is a message there saying something like "no clear line of fire". if your camera is close enough to the gun, you might hear the guys saying the same line (but it won't help much if you don't understand german or russian)

It's more convenient to look at the red LOS line being drawn while you are ordering the unit to fire (to see it, press A or click Attack button in orders panel, the same line will be also displayed for Attack Ground order).

Keep in mind that line of sight and line of fire do differ though (first one is straight while the other is a ballistic curve). Look at the symbol near mouse cursor - if you have a unit selected and are issuing attack ground order, the small target symbol near the mouse cursor will be either colored (preliminary calculation shows that the unit will be able to hit this spot using its main gun) or grey (it can't calculate the trajectory to hit this spot from it's current position).

I don't think it is LOS. I am about to court martial these lazy bastards on PAK 40!!

When I use "ground attack", a red line arrow (vector) is drawn and the cross-hair is RED if I extend the mouse to about 200 meters. There are no obstacles (trees, houses, etc) in front of the unit and only open field. If I continue the mouse farther to say 300 meters, then both the cross-hair and the end of vector (arrow) about 1/4 length become gray and they will not fire.

I know the range of PAK 40 is greater than 300 meters!

How do you check the Line of Fire (ballistic curve)? Is there a hot key to show me the LOF because all I see is the LOS when I select "ground fire" from the panel.

Again, there is nothing in front of PAK 40 that would prevent it from firing and I am only targeting 250 meters or so out so it cannot be out of range issue. I've also parked a tank 300 meters out in case these units require a scout to spot the target area but nothing seems to work and PAK 40 Aschlochs refuse to fire!!

Over.

They have FULL ammo. Again, if I bring the target to about 200 meters, they fire! If I extend the target another 100 meter to about 300 meter, they don't fire!

They are placed on a completely open field with no obstructions. There is a scout tank 300 meters in front of them so LOS, LOF, ammo, and target visibility are all affirmative!

Over.

Most probably, there is a shallow incline between them.

gun___________----------|||||||||||||---------------_____________target

Another simialr case:

-------__________gun__________------------------target----------

Position your camera on the gun barrel level and look at the target. Do you see it OK?

Most probably, there is a shallow incline between them.

gun___________----------|||||||||||||---------------_____________target

Another simialr case:

-------__________gun__________------------------target----------

Position your camera on the gun barrel level and look at the target. Do you see it OK?

You win for best sectional landscape ever dude lol. Big salute from me Boss.