I hate wire

JasonC and dieseltaylor, thanks for sharing your experiences of the two games with a newb.

I had noticed the relative expense of Arty in CMAK, and so far I've not bought any when I've had a choice, which is probably a bit wonky for both sides as I've been playing QBs against the AI to get my head round how to get my troops to do what I want, and they've been Attack battle types; I'd've thought that if a deliberate attack were being undertaken, there'd usually be some artillery available whether Axis or Allied.

My mistake then - the scenario I am thinking of is Italy, and has a US Sherman platoon (75W vehicles mostly IIRC) on a road with a wooded and rocky ridge on its right (perpendicular to the US axis of advance), about a company of infantry. Small stream ahead IIRC. The Germans get Tigers on the far side in the middle around the time the Amis could make the middle of the map - reinforcing a weaker infantry force IIRC. Late, the US gets a couple of tank destroyers.

It was easy to win by sending the infantry to take and hold the wooded ridge first, while the tanks mostly just skulked. Then stupid AI tricks bag the Tigers. The "scripted" approach on the other hand was meant to give lots of flaming wrecks followed by a coin toss gamble from the TDs, and was (1) obvious and (2) dumb as a bag of rocks.