Voodoo 5500

Skoonj

I had a problem I posted a while back, but even after trying all the suggestions, it was intractible. I decided to have my computer upgraded and repaired. I now have a SoundBlaster Live and a Voodoo 5500. Oh, and my chip cooling fans have been replaced. It seems they weren't working. That might account for the game not working after about turn 6.

Now that I have a new set of equipment, I took CM out for a spin. Only one problem though. A lot of text has disappeared. Things like the location of units when placing them (scattered woods, etc.), and when I select the unit I can't get the type of unit, location, etc. Just the typographical stuff.

I guess this has happened before, so I wonder what the fix is. Oh, and I reloaded CM, but I'm down to version 1.02. I'll add the patches once I get this fixed ... unless of course one of the patches IS the fix!

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

--Jean Shepherd, circa 1956

I tried the two-sample and single chip on your suggestion, but they didn't work. I'll try the beta driver.

Two other problems I noticed. When I exit the game there is a slightly darkened bar, about two inches wide and from top of screen to bottom, that quickly runs across my screen. It seems to happen when I leave CM and at no other time. Also, when I get into the game to make the selections of scenario, fog of war, etc., there is a small square artifact that remains on every subsequent screen until I reach the battlefield itself. I'm told it is called a "turd" in the trade. Any idea what's causing it?

I may be looking at a board problem. It's brand spanking new, and may actually have a flaw.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

Skoonj - the "turd" may be caused by an interaction between your mouse driver and the display driver. If you're not using the default serial/PS/2 drivers that come with Win9x, then you may want to check for an upgrade to them.

Also, are you using the "Windows Standard" pointers for you mouse ? If not, then select them. Do you have any "themes" enabled ? Are you running DirectX 7.0a (it may be necessary for the Voodoo 5 drivers, so that may be a moot question) ?

The (moving?) bar across your screen isn't familiar to me. It may be some sort of "artifact" of the Voodoo 5, but I haven't heard of it mentioned here.

I have no idea what a theme or pointer is. I'm brand new to Win 98, having one day experience with it.

I made sure my drivers for the V5500AGP and SBLive are the latest. Then I called 3Dfx, and they gave me some possibly bad news: They said the V5500 has known problems with games while using the ASUS P2B motherboard, revision 1.02. I opened the case, and guess what? Yup, I have revision 1.02!!!

I wonder if there's a CM patch that can take care of that. Otherwise, I have two choices. Either don't play CM, or upgrade to a new MB and CPU (not to mention RAM).

With the new drivers, the traveling bar has disappeared, but the other problems remain.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

Skoonj - to check what you are using for a "pointer" go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Mouse control panel > Pointers tab > in the Scheme drop-down dialog select "(None)".

To get Themes you will need to have installed Windows 98 Plus (an additional piece of software). Themes are a set of icons, desktop backgrounds, sounds and mouse pointers. The "Themes" control panel allows you to select these sets of icons, etc. (i.e. - icons, pointers, backgrounds of "Saving Private Ryan", etc.). The mouse pointer modifications may cause problems with 3D programs like CM.

What mouse do you have ? Go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > Mouse section > click on the plus sign next to the "Mouse" text or double-click on the "Mouse" text. This will tell you the driver that is installed for your mouse. If it is something other than "PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port" or "Standard Serial Mouse" you may be using a custom mouse driver. You may need to go to the manufacturer's website and possibly search for an updated driver.

I wouldn't think that the problem you're seeing with CM (the "turd") would be related to the motherboard compatiblity issue between the P2B and the V5500. Do you suffer any lockup problems in CM ?

No schemes were selected and the mouse is a standard PS2 compatible.

I just heard back from my computer maker, GamePC.com. They looked at the records for my system, and found out that I have a 235 watt power supply, not the 300 watt supply needed by a Voodoo5500. It really looks like I'll need a new motherboard. I have to say, GamePC is a VERY sharp bunch, to be able to give me that kind of info. This is more than two years after I bought the system from them!

Thanks for your help. I now know a little more about W98.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

[This message has been edited by Skoonj (edited 09-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Skoonj (edited 09-08-2000).]

The power supply is not on the motherboard. The power supply is attached to your case. You can replace the power supply without replacing your motherboard or case. I bought a high quality 300 W power supply a couple of months ago for 80 USD.

I too have the V5 5500 and SB Live! value. The only text problems I have is when I esc out to windows and then get back in. The text portion gets all fuzzy and that was traced to FSAA being enabled. Since I will not play without FSAA, I just don't esc to windows.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Sounds to me all you have to do is go and buy a new case with the right power supply in it. Then spend an hour moving everthing over to new case.

Why not check for yourself what WATTS you are running by pulling your case cover of and have a look.

BTW can you run other games with your V5 FSAA ???

Geoff

Unfortunately, though I can always get a bigger, 300 WATT power supply, there's also the question of the ASUS P2B Rev. 1.02, which 3Dfx says is a known problem. I need a new mother board and power supply, which implies a new CPU and RAM. I'm resigned to having to do that.

I might as well. And, while I'm at it, I can use the old motherboard, CPU, power supply, Voodoo 2s, Viper 330, hard drive, and RAM to build a new box for my daughter. Christmas is coming, and I can also give her the CDROM, floppy, and ZIP, though I just need a box. She's almost 6 years old now, and has been using my 1993 486.

I haven't bothered trying other games. I figure any game I try will probably have to be reinstalled first, so I'll do that when I get interested in them.

Jeez, what a mess. But I guess I would have had to do it sooner or later anyway. I just wish I could have put it off.

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

Well folks, it could be any number of things but let's face it. The single common thread here is Voodoo5. I have the exact same problems on a P-III Coppermine, with a Tyan Trinity400 MB (so it ain't just Asus), 256megs of RAM, and yep I use Windows Standard mouse pointers, no themes, no fancy settings at all on the mouse. I'm going to try the suggestion above of using the single chip option instead of FSAA. I have read over on the 3DFX forums where Voodoo5's and D3D just flat out don't get along, but some people have posted success with D3D games dropping down to the single chip option.

Okaydoky, dat were it! The ole Voodoo5 dual chip FSAA problem versus D3D. It's been the biggest flame discussion on the 3DFX boards, and strikes again with CMBO. I switched to the "single chip" option in the Voodoo5 control panel for D3D and...POOF! All the text is there, all the titles and tags are there, and ofcourse the 3D terrian don't look quite as smooth but criminey, least I can play this thing now. I'm using the Voodoo5 1.01 drivers, haven't tried the beta but saw a fellow above that said they didn't make any difference to this problem. So, here's another post for the 3DFX support forum.

Yet another D3D game that don't work with their dual FSAA processing. (and the opponents of IT regulation scream..."but it'll stiffel competition". Yeah, would it? At least it would ensure interoperability!

Political announcement paid for by "FROTH". Federal Regulation of the Hardware

Nope, no old drivers. Wish it were that simple. But, I haven't tried the switch from "Fastest" FSAA directly to 4xFSAA, I'll give that a whirl.

The FSAA versus D3D is a well documented problem on 3DFX support forums, particularly with the 3D Shooters. After changing to "single chip", which is the workaround for the 3D shooter problems, CMBO works fine. But I'll try the 4X and see what gives. If anyone is interested, read about how it was 3DFX architected the dual chip process. Quite revealing. How to get more from a mule basically.

Thanks guys, I'll see if 4X works for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rquest543:

Well my only problem is that I can use the game with 4FSAA set directly, but I can not get higher than 600X800 or what ever that is. I can not use the 1000 res or the game is screwed up?? Any ideals on that one? I have a 20" monitor and it is capable of much higher resolution.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CMBO defaults to your Windows desktop resolution. I doubt you have your desktop resolution set at 800x600 on your 20 inch monitor though. However, just to test this, set your Windows resolution to whatever you want to run CM at (e.g., 1024x768), delete your CM preferences file in the CM root directory (sorry, I don't remember the name, maybe combatmission.pre or something like that), then fire up CM again. Without the preferences file, CM will have to check your system again and use whatever your desktop resolution is as the game resolution. Try that and see what happens. Good luck.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Well thanks for the help. I am sorry to say to all you Voodoo5 users that I have managed to get it working perfectly. I have 1280X1024 res, using the 4FSAA option, (Not Fastest). CM looks great, I will be spending even more time in front of the computer. Still have not figured out the ESC problem but hell who needs to leave anyhow.

Okay, thanks guys. I got my v5 5500 to work in 2XFSAA and 4XFSAA, and single chip mode. The only problem is the fastest mode, which wipes out the graphics. But, 2XFSAA runs fine and looks great. I read about something on this at 3DFX's forum. Has to do with the dual chip processing and the split memory. Where each chip is using 32megs of the total of 64 megs. IOW, you really only have a card with 32megs of memory, running split between two processor chips, not a full 64 meg bank. Some have even said the single chip runs some D3D games faster than the "fastest performance" dual chip mode. Anyway, mine works fine now.

Danke