My CMBB stop working....

Hi.

For some days ago I hadnt played my CMBB for a pretty long time, but felt like it was time to pick it up. So I put the CD in and started the game. Some kind of wrong-massage appeared, so I thought maybe I should reinstall the game, so i deleted all CMBB files on my computer and browsed the CD. First thing that happens then is that all files on the CD shows for about a secound, to then dissappear and become invicible. If you browse the CD again, the files are visible, but you cant do anything with them. All the time the CD-ROM drive sounds really wierd, like it cant read the CD at all. I have no idea what the problem is!

I´m using:

Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 800

Windows XP Home Edition (no SP2)

Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin Special Edition

Thanks for any help!

Turn off any anti-virus software you may have running. The anti-virus software may be attempting to check/scan the CD's contents and that may be causing a problem for explorer.

CMBB Special Edition comes from CDV and they've used a copy protection mechanism on the CD that can potentially cause problems with some CD/DVD drives. However since you've already installed CMBB on this particular laptop I'd assume that is a very small possibility at this point. The last thing to check is to make sure that the CD is clean and has minimal scratches.

Do you (or friend or family member) have another computer where you can attempt to read the CD ? This would be to just double-check that the CD itself hasn't developed some sort of problem (typcially scratches) that makes it unreadable.

• 2 weeks later...

A CD restorer only works if the CD is badly scratched. It's just meant to minimize the scratches to the point that the CD can become readable (though they don't always work).

So unless your CD has a deep scratch or many scratches over the bottom reading surface, I don't think a CD restorer is going to be the solution. I'd suggest booting into SafeMode and seeing if the CD becomes readable then. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what to say. You may need to contact CDV to see if they can exchange the CD for another one (I'm not sure what their policy is on that).