Putin justifies Katyn

Well not quite.......but it's a one-two bit of propaganda - "you did it first", and "See Stalin was only after revenge - understandable, if regretable..."

the Poles have a different take on it here - pointing out that epidemics rife 1919-1922 were the major cause, and also that many "missing" Soviet soldiers probably defected, contrasting that with the bullet to the head the Poles got in 1940!

Casualties for the NZEF were:

124,211 men mobilised

100,444 deployed overseas

59,483 casualties including,

18,166 killed

New Zealand soldiers won 18 Victoria Crosses during WWI and another 7 were won by New Zealanders serving with other countries armies. Pretty high heroism rate!

First nation to send a contingent and the first to capture German territory. Yes I know you knew it was Samoa :)

I realise you may mean the Russo-Polish war and for that I have no information.

Casualties for the NZEF were:

124,211 men mobilised

100,444 deployed overseas

59,483 casualties including,

18,166 killed

New Zealand soldiers won 18 Victoria Crosses during WWI and another 7 were won by New Zealanders serving with other countries armies. Pretty high heroism rate!

First nation to send a contingent and the first to capture German territory. Yes I know you knew it was Samoa :)

I realise you may mean the Russo-Polish war and for that I have no information.

I thought we were talking about WW2? I'm confused.

• 2 weeks later...
Grim coincidence : Polish President , together with other 96 people , including entire command of Polish Army died in plane crash ...

Funeral today (well, yesterday).

To drag this vaguely back on track, there is a video of the funeral service here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8627857.stm

Does anyone recognise the gun that is being used to carry the coffins at the very end of the vid? To me, it looks Russian (and very odd behind a HMMWV), and bossibly a 76mm, but beyond that I'm lost.