Anyone played the Russian campaign yet?

How do you find it? I'm going to have to bite my tongue with this one. I think it is dreadful :( My first battle was over in 26 minutes. Okay it was a victory for me as the defender, but not through my skill. You aren't allowed time to control any of the units really, and you just have to hope and pray the trenches and guns do the job necessary. It's all over too quickly, as I guessed it would be. This game is not one for the defenders! It looks like the whole campaign will be one of defending too.

If memory serves, I'm about at scenario 8 or 9, and I do believe they're all defensive.

I think the main points for me are that -

A) Being an artillery victim doesn't make for fun gameplay - carefully choosing my forces and placing them, only to have a third or half of them wiped out before real combat even begins gets very very old

B) The stat/RPG side of things is even more inappropriate for the Russian side, considering the losses you take. I feel silly going through individual soldier skills by hand, knowing how quickly and easily they can be destroyed. I'd have to spend more time in the stats screen than I would in the actual game

C) The Russian scenarios can be mind bogglingly difficult, more so than the German scenarios. So much of the outcomes is based on luck - will all of my AT guns be destroyed by artillery, or only half? Will my SU get a shot off before the tiger spots him? etc. Lots of save/reload action.

Anyway, I'm stuck on scenario 8 or 9, and this is on novice. Not sure what I would do on the higher difficulties.

So I finally completed this mission and finished the Russian campaign. You receive a victory screen and a couple of paragraphs of text explaining the rest of the Soviet counter-offensives.

I don't believe the Russian units depicted participated in the big tank battles, so it doesnt look like any of those engagements are depicted in the game.

:( bit of a shame really. As others have pointed out, Kursk is known for the epic tank battles so you would logically expect to see some of these battles in amongst the campaign. I'm not even going to bother playing the Russian campaign. The German campaign was quite well desgined I thought, and enjoyable to an extent.

I haven't played the campaigns thru yet so I hesitate to complain. So it seems this game's campaigns are mostly about the initial fight to breakthru the tough multilayered trench lines and dug in Pak's and tanks.

I agree that it would have been nice to have a major tank engagement. Maybe an add-on disk. There might've been nearly 5000 kms of trenches and tank ditches but there were major tank clashes.

:( bit of a shame really. As others have pointed out, Kursk is known for the epic tank battles so you would logically expect to see some of these battles in amongst the campaign. I'm not even going to bother playing the Russian campaign. The German campaign was quite well desgined I thought, and enjoyable to an extent.

Phil, do you recall where the German campaign ends for "GD" in this game? Just curious.

It should probably be around Berezovka when the main part of GD turned around to attack to the southwest (reversing about 10 kms from their march towards Oboyan) in order to assist 3rd Pz Div. This was on 10 July with the fighting around Berezovka ending more or less on the 11th.

So "GD" didn't participate at Prokhorovka wher the so-called greatest tank battle ever was fought 11-16 July. It was mainly II SS Pz Korps vs 5th Gds Tank Army (but not entirely).

We would need an entirely new game called "Prokhorovka."

Soviet military history does not use the same dates as German histories do for Kursk. They consider the dates as 5 Jult thru 23 August as they are counting their offensives after Zitadelle was stopped. And it may be Russian history does not have the same fascination we have with the Prokhorovka battle as it was a defensive victory (or at least the Germans halted operations because of counteroffensives to the north and south and because of the situation in Italy)..