Possible TCP/IP glitch (freeze) work-around

I hope this work-around will continue to work, and I prolly should keep testing before i post, but the results have been unexpectedly good.

Here's the routine exactly as I do it each turn. The save may not be needed, I have no idea, but this is what has worked in many tcp/ip battles on huge maps 5000 points (very 'glitchable' parameters in the past)

Each player gives orders. When they have finished, they DO NOT press go yet. The host waits for the 'client'(?) to say he has finished his orders. If the host hasn't finished his orders, he then continues to give them. When he is finished, and the client or 'joining' player has finished, the host then saves the game to some filename other than autosave. This filename can be the same from turn to turn. When the save has been completed, the host hits go, and then the client player hits go.. voila, no glitch. The critical thing here is that both players hit 'go' after all orders have been given by both sides.

I think (guessing) that when one player has finished his orders and has hit go, but the other player logs in orders after this point in time, the game becomes 'glitchable'. Not for sure, just some non-zero probability that it could glitch. I saved it each time at this point cause i thought perhaps the calculation phase (the blue bar) could be generating errors with 'bad' random numbers, somehow corrupting the datafile. So if it did glitch, as long as the above procedure was followed, a quick restart (re-connect)could be done and just hit 'go' again. The random numbers would be different, and perhaps the glitch avoided. In any case, i have yet to have a glitch yet in 15 (?) hours of tcp/ip play. I will continue to test this, and keep my fingers crossed smile.gif

Addendum: I just noticed that when I started this routine, both my opponent and I turned OFF ambient sounds. So now, Im not sure if the above procedure fixed the glitch, or if turning off ambient sound fixed it. So now there is another variable in here that needs sorting out (sorry folks). My advice is to turn ambient sound off when playing multiplayer. Hopefully this will all be clearer in a week or so.

-John Caravella

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Maxx ]

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Maxx ]

Still no crash using the above procedure. I'm not so sure ambient sound off matters.. have played both with it on and off..

The key of course is for the host to remember to follow the workaround above on every single turn.

This weekend I played 2,000 and 3,000 ME's plus half of a 3,000 attack. The "ding-freeze" did not occur in any of the games.

We did experience a couple of crashes where the players were knocked out of the game. In both instances we were able to pick up with autosave and no further problems. In one of these instances, my opponent reported that he heard the "ding" but there was no freeze. No prisoners had been taken at that point. I did not hear the ding on my end and I was hosting it. As I said, the autosave worked. Because there was no freeze accompanying the "ding" that my opponent heard, and autosave worked fine, I don't think this was the game ruining bug that the fix appears to remedy.

In all instances, ambient sound was "on" for both players, and we did not do the manual save.

I probably put in 12-16 hours of tcp/ip this weekend with numerous prisoners, loaded and unloaded HT's (as several folks seem to attribute as potential causes of the problem), so I'm feeling pretty good about your fix Maxx.

Well halfway through a 15 battle operation - I as the allies approached a kubelwagon - my boys fired on it and knocked it out. The driver hopped out and was captured. Next turn GLITCH. Ding freeze glitch - unable to restart as the autosave and the saved game (saved manually) are corrupted. Massive letdown - a real bummer - considering how much time is put in playing an operation via tcp/ip and to have it all go for naught. I guess single scenarios or QB's are my only tcp/ip options. Oh well.