Further observations on GC

Well, frankly there should be only one motorization level for each country (fixed and not subject to tech). To fully motorize an infantry corps is a very expensive proposition, something neither the Germans nor Russians (even with oodles of American trucks) ever came close to doing. You need the vehicles (the Germans basically pillaged all motor transport in any occupied territory they took, and even then that wasn't enough), but also the gas, along with the maintenance tail as well (keeping an armored division running was also hugely profligate in logistics-terms). Even a 100 point penalty per unit upgrade would understate the difficulties involved.

Currently I'm OK with the max 2 LR, reason being is those damn double strike CVs. They can cause enough havoc along the coastal regions, give them another tile and whoa Bettsie! If the land unit strike for CVs could be toned down some, then I would have no problem. Simple solution and historical also is just apply the max range(operating) of WW2 aircraft to the scale of the map, that should be the highest level, OK...maybe one more.

As far as land movement is concerned, I'm in the camp that units should be able to move at least one tile, but I also believe there should be terrain that some units can't enter. Take SC tanks for instance, a mech group in reality, they shouldn't be able to enter mountains or swamps unless along a road or rail tile. Now I know that the roads/rails of the SC map don't present the extended infrastructure that is invisible at this scale, so perhaps there should be a mechanism that allows the designer to use the graphics but set the tile as unpassable, to motorized, mechanized units.

That way you can present the substructure(invisible) in place at the time, yet the feature of APs can't be taken advantage in terrain that would preclude real movement of the forces. My thinking is mountains, desert, swamps, etc. and certain perceived impassable terrain should be able to be crossed by the smaller SC units, like corps and special forces simulating their ability to leave their motor transport and heavy equipment behind.