CM in OSX?

Couple of questions...

First of all, is this even possible? From reading the notice here:

https://www.combatmission2.com/cmak_macosx.html

I was under the impression that no version of CM would currently work under OSX at all, but from browsing the forums I'm seeing reports of workarounds for the problem... do any of them work?

Secondly, I'm planning on getting a G5 sometime in the future. Would it be possible to use OS9 on it to play games like CM in the OS for which they were designed and to use OS9-only software, or is this completely impossible? I heard from someone that Apple removed the partitioning abilities from all their latest machines, but I haven't heard this confirmed by anyone.

Much to all our dismay, the statement you read is correct. There is no way so far to get the CM series with the existing game engine to run in OSX or under Classic withing X.

You have to boot into OS 9.x.x or earlier directly. The only currently shipping Macs that will boot into OS9 are the G3 iBooks and the 1.25 and dual 1.25 G4 towers still available.

BFC is now beginning work on a new graphics engine that will be built around OpenGL as the graphic API and as long as Apple doesn't change course again, we will get CMII running native under OSX. I would expect a minimum of 1.5 to 2 years until this occurs. Until that time it requires a machine that can be booted into OS 9.

You may wonder why it will take this long, it is due to the small staff that does this work (1 man) at BFC.

Sorry for the bad news. It is something we have been grappling with for the last 2 years. Unless Apple changes how the RAVE API is handled in Classic under OSX don't expect to run CM on a machine that doesn't boot into OS9.

As for some work arounds, the only one that does work works only on CMBO, which runs in software rendering (very slow) mode only at 640 x 480 pixels. CMBB and CMAK both require 800 x 600 and will not work under software rendering.

Any computer can have multiple partitions on its hard drive, Apple has not removed this ability. What it has removed due to wanting people to use OSX only, is the further development of OS9 and hardware to allow new machines to boot into OS9.

[ November 23, 2003, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: kmead ]

Is it something like virtual PC? Unfortunately it emulates Windows fine but doesn't support directly the 3D graphics card. I can run 98 on my mac for the odd specific PC application or for looking at websites that reject the Mac IE

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

I've seen it on the selves and looked at it,you installe it on to you MAC and you have a XP-OS,

I don't have a MAC but hey just wanted to tell you it's out there so you can play CM on your MAC OS with that in there...... :D