Abyssinia

Ok...so I'm new at this type of game (having not played strategery since the cardboard version of Third Reich) and I'm getting absolutely nowhere trying to take Asmara. I simply can't decimate the Graziani HQ and thus can't reduce the Italian force. What's the best way to approach this?

This was perhaps one of the hardest nuts for me to crack in the Pact of Steel scenario. First I landed a corps from Rhodesia and used ships to knock out that fighter sitting on the coast of somalia. Then I pushed upwards from that town on the coast of somalia to start hitting the Graziani HQ from the south and used a tank and special forces unit (Australian) from the north to support the attack. I also used 2 tactical bombers to reduce that HQ.

The most vital key for me was to use a strategic bomber against that town to reduce supplies to zero so reinforcement was much more difficult for the Italians. Once the HQ is taken out then the rest of the nut was easy to crack. Also you should have HQs of your own to increase the supplies of the units you are using to attack these Italians. If you attack with units on low or no supplies then you will never do much damage to the Italians.

Ok...so I'm new at this type of game (having not played strategery since the cardboard version of Third Reich) and I'm getting absolutely nowhere trying to take Asmara. I simply can't decimate the Graziani HQ and thus can't reduce the Italian force. What's the best way to approach this?

I would SUggest to use The Indian Commando together with the British Tank in Egypt. this with a Tacbomber and the Carrier should work.

Attention: Better refrain from any Offensive Against Graziani, if the Front in El Alamein is under strong Assault.

In fact: ask yourself: what can they do down there? in best case they can take Djibuti Port. so if the situation is not optimal for allies, just hold a Corps in Khartoum and Nairobi to prevent Axis Travel towards these and wait for better times.

There is some sort of issue going on here. I've been hitting these units over and over and over for turn after turn without being able to take them out (see screen shot). This is the second game where this had been a problem. In the previous one I controlled Adis Ababa and could not take out that damn HQ for the life of me despite it being surrounded, pounded and without any supply. It magically refit to level 8 every damn turn.

29w4zsk.jpg

This is the second game where this had been a problem. In the previous one I controlled Adis Ababa and could not take out that damn HQ for the life of me despite it being surrounded, pounded and without any supply. It magically refit to level 8 every damn turn.

I think you do two Strategic Errors:

1) Your Corps and other Units have Still not Inf.Tech 1, this is not helpful, better wait for Inf Tech level 1, as i wrote before: the Blackshirts can't escape from you anyway.

2) You only Attack with one Useful Unit: the British Tank, Why not bring in a Commando from India? Generally Corps are best for Garrison purposes and less useful for Offensives.

Aditionally you may first focus on the HQ, as the Blackshirts may be later easier without supply. Well known Historical Strategy: Allways crush the weakest guys first...:D

Regardless of the tech levels when hitting an HQ with 4 carrier strikes (2 carriers x2), 2 tac bomber strikes, 2 fighter strikes and 1 bomber strike (the second bomber strike keeps the city at 0) followed by 3 infantry attacks and a tank attack (2 strikes) can't knock it out there sure as hell seems to be something wrong. The game requirement of overwhelming odds to kill one unit is a bit annoying.

I'm not sure, but it could also be that your HQ's are not at full strength.

Or, I could be completely off base.

So that would lead to ask, are less than full strength HQ's less effective than full strength HQ's? I thought they were (otherwise I'm needlessly bringing mine up to full strength).

But some how I think that may have something to do with it...

Might another problem be that HQs only help units of their own nation? I see that there is a British HQ there but most of those units are not British and thus not getting helped by the HQ.

I'm completely unsure on this though, because I don't know the color conventions used for counter as I play with the sprites mostly. Regardless, HQs do wonders for attacking units when they are right behind the unit. Also be sure that the HQ commander has a high rating. That makes a huge difference in attacks many times.

On a positive note, if you are able to reduce that HQ to virtually zero each turn it will be costing the Axis a fortune to keep repairing it. In the long run the Allies will benefit more from this, both due to the loss of Axis MPPs in repairs, and in the valuable experience they'll build up.