Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

PS/2 Mouse Help

OK I have used the search button and have found many threads dealing with this but none seem to help and/or I am not computer literate enough to understand them. My problem is that I got a new computer and installed CMBB and the latest patch. When I try to run the game, at the main menu the pointer is invisible unless I move it over one of the 4 options (there is also a "ghost" of the mouse in the center of the screen. This problem occurs on all of the menus. After starting a game, instead of the pointer being invisible it flickers making it impossible to play. An easy walkthrough of how to fix this would be very much appreciated, thx in advance.

There probably won't be an easy way of solving this if you're not too familiar with computers. Your problem is most likely with the video drivers, but it is possible that the mouse drivers may be to blame. There may also be no solution for you depending on the video card, etc. (i.e. - it's possible that your current hardware won't work with CM properly - requiring you to get something else to replace it).

You're going to need to tell us what Windows version you're running, what video card you have and its driver version, what mouse you have and the driver version installed for it (though you may be using a generic driver that Windows provides).

If you don't know where to find this information, at least tell us what version of Windows you have and what mouse you have (these should be easy).

Sorry I forgot to post that in my first post. I'm running Windows XP with a GeForce 4 ti4200 with version 40.72. I think (not sure if this is right or not) that my mouse driver version is 5.1.2600.0, the driver being the microsoft generic (again I am assuming). Now I am not computer illiterate just not a genius w/ them. When I try to install the latest video card driver it warns me that it isn't verified to work with Windows XP and may damage my computer so I click no. Any word on this?

[ January 09, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Shifty 101 ]

I wouldn't recommend using the latest drivers (the 40.xx series) from NVidia if CM is the primary game you play. The 'digital signature' warning is next to useless in my opinion. Most drivers will come up with this warning if they aren't 'WHQL Certified' (which means a vast majority of drivers), and WHQL certification isn't a rock solid guarantee of a problem free driver itself. So I wouldn't worry about that warning.

I'd suggest uninstalling those NVidia drivers and download and install the 30.82's (or 30.87's) instead. These don't have problems with FSAA in CM like most of the 4x.xx drivers do (though I haven't followed how well the latest/beta drivers may be doing). That driver may help with your mouse problem.

[ January 09, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Go to Control Panels > Add/Remove Software control panel. Typically if your drivers were installed with a setup program they should appear in this list.

When you uninstall the drivers and reboot don't install the drivers again (and delete whatever directory you extracted the 4x.xx drivers to also). Instead let WindowsXP install it's default 'VGASave' driver (it typically should recognize the GeForce4 family). If it prompts you to install the GeForce4 drivers, skip them and leave it uninstalled. With the 30.8x's downloaded and extracted run the installer for that driver and hopefully things should go smoothly.

I did what you said but now when I try to play CMBB it tells me the resolition will be 640-480 so I hit accept and the next screen is black with the backround music but when I ctrl+alt+del to return to desktop (it won't respond to alt+tab) it gives me an error reading...

Unhandled exception:c0000005

At adress: 73787cfe

So I am worse off than before not being able to play ANY games :( I'm sure it's something I did wrong but I don't know how to fix it.

Did you perform the uninstall using the Add/Remove Programs control panel ? What did you do after that ? What driver did you install ? Did you install this driver after rebooting or did you install it before you rebooted (which you shouldn't have done) ? Did Windows automatically detect and install the driver for you ? If it did, then it just reloaded the same driver. What resolution are you running at ?

Can you run the DirectX Diagnostic (go to Run and type in DXDIAG) ? On the Display tab there are three buttons to enable featurs under the 'DirectX Features' area. Are these 'enabled' or are they disabled or greyed out ? If you run the 'Test DirectDraw' and 'Test Direct3D' do these tests pass ?

More than likely you're going to need to repeat what I sugggested earlier - uninstall your video driver and DON'T reinstall it. Make sure that it is recognized as a 'VGASave' adapter/driver before installing another NVidia driver (and reboot once more before installing the next driver). Don't attempt to run CM before you install the driver (it should fail if you do). There should be no need to reinstall CMBB, it has little to do with the problem that you're encountering.

I also suggest that you shutdown any other programs, especially anti-virus utilities, before attempting to install drivers.

Schrullenhaft, thanks for all of your help. After I posted my last message I went ahead and tried something of my own. I installed the latest driver (41.09) and now CMBB works fine (except for a small glitch where some text pages don't show up until I alt+tab to desktop then back, very minor). Again, thanks for all your help!