Hmm to EAX or to not?

1C's EAX code supports up to EAX 3.0. I've seen up to EAX 2.0 selected with a non-Creative Labs audio setup, but then there would be errors listed in the "LOG.LST" file mentioning "invalid parameter in EAX preset". So its possible that you can make the selection, but the code really isn't checking if that is available at the time of the setting. Once the game loads, it then truly determines if you have EAX capabilities or not (or 'more accurately' determines the true EAX capability).

The biggest advantage to the setting is 'turning it off' for people who have audio hardware that is truly EAX capable. If your hardware isn't EAX capable, then the setting is passed onto the game engine, but it will generate an error (not a game-ending one, but a logged error) when it doesn't really run.

I see! Well I've just had a look at that LST file and sure enough, it reads:

Direct sound audio device initialized successfully :

DX Version : 7

Hardware - disabled [buffers : 0]

Extensions - disabled :

EAX ver. 1 [ ] - disabled

EAX ver. 2 [ ] - disabled

EAX ver. 3 [ ] - disabled

I3D ver. 2 [ ] - disabled

ZoomFX [ ] - disabled

MacroFX [ ] - disabled

SIMD render [X]

num channels 32

I'm using onboard 5.1 via Nvidia HDA apparently. But I don't think it's particularly good. I mean, the sound effects in game are superb, and really add to the atmosphere, but I'm having a few issues with they way they are rendered on my Shuttle.

With regards EAX in Kursk, does surround sound actually work? That might sound like an odd question but I have a 5 speaker setup here, correctly configured via Win 7, but Kursk only *appears* to use the front 2 speakers, (left and right obviously). Also, for me, the sounds are very muted. Is this how it is for everyone?