Dumb ? - How/Where do I report a Bug?

Just got the new game. Very cool, only ever owned the original SC Game prior to SC-GC. How / where do I report bugs? If this is not the right place / method, please advise.

I've seen 2 bugs already, (1) is a pain in the arsz and (2) an annoyance:

1) The toolbar on the right seems to magically not display buttons you can select at certain times. Seems random, then click around on it or country flags below them on right edge and they seem to come back. Not sure if this is a bug, or game feature I don't understand.

2) When switching unit display back and forth between NATO symbols and Picture Icons I've seen the newly selected option not "Stick" / become effective after selecting it and then closing out of options screen and going back to the game map. Go back in and switch between the two options and hit OK and go back out to map and it still is not displaying the correct way on the map. After repeating numerous times the unit icon display finally switchs to match what was selected in the Options Screen.

Machine: Win7 Professional O/S. i7-920 processor, ATI 5870 Graphics running game @ 1920x1200, 6 GB RAM. Game installed itself in Programs(x86) Folder, so I assume it's running in Window 7's WinXP Compatibility Mode.

Mike D

Denver, CO, USA.

1) This happens on rare occasions when the game is minimized and then re-selected. If the buttons appear to be missing you can often minimize again and then re-select the game from the taskbar etc., and all the interface graphics should then re-appear.

Just to confirm is this when you do switch back and forth from game to Desktop and are you running in Windowed or Full Screen mode?

2) This is an odd one as it seems to work fine on my end but I mostly run on XP and I do test on Vista but usually with UAC disabled. I wonder if on Win7 it has to do with compatibility files causing the issue. Here is a reference to what I am referring:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

Why I think it might be connected is because if it is saving this file in the virtual folder, i.e. the INI file that keeps track of these in game changes, it might not be saving properly.

One way around this is to try and uninstall the game and then re-install into another folder other than the Program Files folder such as C:\Games etc., or you might want to try right clicking on the Desktop icon and selecting to run in WinXP compatibility mode to see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

P.S. We have a tech support forum for Strategic Command, that you can post this to in the future, i.e. it is a few links below this forum.

With respect to both topics:

1) No, the issue I was referring to happens as a result of selecting a unit. I.e., apparently this is "by design" where several of the control buttons are taken away other than the 2 unit specific ones, XXXX (can't recall) and the Undo Move button. So this was my misunderstanding of the UI.

-

However, the issue you noted I have also seen running under Win7 when the game is "minimized". Specifically, I'm running game in Full-Screen mode and when I alt-tab out of it to switch to another application / the desktop bad things happen, i.e. I've seen at least 1 game lock-up / crash. I'll seen this in other WinXP / Vista games running in compatibility mode under Win7. I'll have to play with it some more.

-----

2) I'll have to play w/ this some more too and look into the ref you provided. I'll then report back

-----

Thx much for your time & support. And I'll report future bugs/issues to the tech support forum you ref'd.

- Mike