Curious about Multi Player

In the TOW Kursk page I read.

Team multiplayer for up to 8 players (control of key points or assault/defense) with reinforcements, artillery barrages and air strikes;

This sounds very intriguing. Can you play 2 human commanders against 2 AI commanders?

When this will be possible, it would be VERY nive!

So it appears that Co-op against the computer is not possible. That is too bad.

I have been wanting to buy my brother this game for his birthday. He doesn't have very much time to devote to fun and games. If I can't be on the same side of the battlefield watching over how he prepares for war I know he wouldn't have the time to learn this game on his own. I guess this won't work out. :-(

Coop is possible of course. Set up a multiplayer game with you and your friend(s) in one team and AIs in another, thats all.

That does sound quite simple. Does this work for LAN as well as over the internet?

Before asking my question I went into TOW Africa's Multiplayer but didn't see how it was possible. I also didn't see any documentation describing how this would be possible. Is this new in TOW Kursk?

Go to MP menu and create a server (choose 4 players for example). You'll see the game setup window with you in the players list and 3 vacant places. You can either disable each player, wait for someone to connect to you or choose AI player from drop-down menu. This way, you can play MP game yourself with up to 7 AIs (both enemy and friendly) or any combination of human players and AIs.

It's best to play over LAN because you need to have an external IP so players over the world would see your server in the Internet. Read the multiplayer configuration readme in the game folder. Most player in Russia use Hamachi to play over the Internet without external IP (only the hoster needs it though).

I did verify that I could indeed spawn a multiplayer game with bots in both LAN and IP type games.

co-op against the commputer is possible in TOW 1 also.

But there is no specific triggers for that, so the IA is not a good opponent.

It is the only limitation I think.

Would this statement be true of TOW Africa and TOW Kursk? Does the AI have trouble triggering their response to a human opponent?

In the short scenarios I played the enemy was in a static defensive position in which it appeared that they played half way decent.

It did not appear you could set the difficulty level of the opponent.

It didn't appear possible to play all the maps. I rotated through the game types and there were a few scenarios that it didn't appear possible to play.

I'm not really judging TOW 2 Africa but it's good to know Cooperative play is possible in this game.

I am curious about how Co-op Tow Kursk stacks up.

If you couldn't select some scenarios in MP, it means they weren't suited for the settings you chose. For example, you set a 4 player game and 2-player maps became unavailable. In addition, try to select various mp modes on the left - some scenarios were made for attack/defend mode and some for others.

If you couldn't select some scenarios in MP, it means they weren't suited for the settings you chose. For example, you set a 4 player game and 2-player maps became unavailable. In addition, try to select various mp modes on the left - some scenarios were made for attack/defend mode and some for others.

You might be right; if I chose a 2 player map perhaps the greyed out maps might become available. I guess this would be minor regardless as I do not have any friends who own TOW Africa.

My primary question would be how the Co-op experience may have evolved since TOW 1 and 2?

1) What play level can AI be?

2) Does the AI have trouble triggering?

What do you mean by 'trouble triggering'?

New MP mode (control of one or several locations) appeared in Africa. In Kursk MP, you can call for reinforcements, air and artillery support just like in the singleplayer.

I believe what was referred to in Arzok's post had to do with how well the AI reacted on the map to threats. If there were 2 threats for the enemy would it confuse the AI? Does the AI do an offensive against you well?

What difficulty level(s) does the AI operate under in MP mode?

I hope I'm not being annoying asking questions but my decision is coming down to the wire.

Well, it's best to play and see for yourself... when i played MP, defending against the AI, i lost more times than won (attacker has larger force). It's agressive. If it's you who attacks, AI may be passive, but suddenly react in agressive counterattack. After all, i'd say that MP against AI is similar to Africa's, but with new features, units, terrain and, of course, different tactics because of this.