CMSF "CMSF.exe has stopped working"

Hello

Okay, so I have the game on disc, my friend gave me the disc version for my birthday.

I install the game, just the base game with no addons, and i try to run it as Administrator, with no luck as i get the title's error.

So i then think maybe its just the disc, i download CMSF Demo, and install it ... Guess what ... Same thing

CMSF.exe has stopped working.

I've read other posts, only to find it is DEP or UAC, well both of mine have been off since i installed win 7.

I now think its the "runservice.exe", reason i believe such is that i have looked inside my "C:\Windows\" (with Show All files and folders enabled), and cannot find the runservice.exe.

Any help is very much appreciated as ive wanted to try this game for a year.

Additional Info:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

etc

etc

etc blah blah

Actually, the CMSF demo is not using eLicense. So if you are getting the same problem on the full game as well as the demo, this points to a different problem entirely.

With DEP, it never hurts to go in and set it to "block Windows essential programs only" anyway and save and reboot.

The only other possible cause as far as I can tell from your description would be your anti-virus software. It may not be able to decode our hacker protection for the game and is flagging it as spam. This is the only explanation for why the runservice.exe file may be missing from your Windows folder in fact if you really have UAC off. Set an exception for the game and/or disable your AV temporarily.

Lastly, are you sure you have the Battlefront version of the game at all?

Martin

Thank you for your help Moon.

Unfortunately, after reading your post, I disabled my antivirus, changed DEP settings twice, (to make sure it was disabled), rebooted twice (one per change), made sure it was disabled which it is, made sure antivir was disabled, firewall and all.

And upon running the demo, i still get the CMSF.exe has stopped responding.

I've tried everything i could think of, compatibility mode, Run as Admin, etc etc.

I might also add that i did add the folder for CMSF to the exceptions list for my antivir aswell

As Moon has pointed out, the Demo shouldn't need any DEP settings to my knowledge (since that is geared towards the eLicense encryption).

Do you get any more to the error message of "CMSF.exe has stopped working" ?

What exact hardware are you trying to run CMSF on ? Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit seems to indicate that you're using newer hardware. For video drivers are you using what Microsoft supplied with Windows 7 or have you installed some manufacturer supplied drivers ?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Core i7 920 @ 3.2ghz

ATi Radeon 4830 HD

The latest Catalyst drivers from ATi version 10.2

This is what the error is when i try to launch the Demo:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: CM Shock Force DEMO.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4a5fa1db

Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.9551