Out of memory & corrupted saves

Hi, i have been playing the Warrior in the sands campaing, and i am getting unexpected save game corruption. Also the game eventually crashes with "Out of memory" notification.

2 of the sequental saves are corrupted, which were saved some 10 minutes before game crash, do show gibberish in the description. If i try to load them, i get immidiately the "Out Of Memory" notification. This is damning bug, as i cannot know if the save was corrupted or not untill i try to load it.

Where do i send the files?

How far are you into the campaign ? Can you reproduce this problem with other battles or campaigns ? What method are you playing the campaign, turn-based or real-time ?

When you get these 'out of memory' errors, what is reporting them ? Is it a Windows crash; a simple dialog box with CMSF disappearing right beforehand ? Is there any other information included with the 'out of memory' error ?

I assume that you're patched up to 1.21. Does this campaign require the British Forces module ? Which modules do you have or if you do not have any modules, what distribution is your base game, Battlefront or Paradox ?

Loading a corrupted file in-and-of-itself could lead to an "out of memory" condition in the game. Of course the 'out of memory' errors occurring during game play are not due to the file saves (as far as I know).

You can send the corrupted saves to us at the Helpdesk by submitting a ticket, though there will be limits on the attachment size in the email (10Mb ?). But the only thing we could do at this point is confirm that they give us the same error that you're seeing - 'out of memory'. The only person who could interpret more out of them, to my knowledge, would be Charles and he's busy programming CM Normandy at the moment and I don't know when he would be able to take a look at them.

We've seen reports of 'out of memory' errors in the past, but haven't fully duplicated them or had Charles duplicate them to see what is happening.

One thing to possibly try is to reduce some of the settings within the Options panel in the main menu. Perhaps lower quality textures and 3D models may help a bit along with turning off any antialiasing and possibly reducing anisotropic filtering (though that may have the least effect on memory). Are you using any graphic or sound mods in the game ? Perhaps temporarily removing these may help.

What Windows version, video card and driver version are you using ? What settings do you have for them ?

OK, I just saw the Warriors in the Sands campaign post in the main forum. Which campaign are you specifically playing, the UK only or the UK/USMC (which just has Syrian Airborne rather than USMC forces) ?

1. UK version of the campaing, second battle

2. Windows XP with 2gb RAM, Out Of Memory comes along with crash to desktop, dialog box.

3. Battlefront 1.21 with UK&USMC

4. I have zero mods installed

5. ATI Radeon 4570 with 9.4 catalyst (the one that does not have the memory leak bug, reported previously)

6. I guess its reproducable, as i have the same occurence with 3 separate tries (taken earlier save).

7.The corruption was ongoing as i have 2 consequent saves with corrupted headers, was able to play atleast 10 minutes in between and then some, without any pre-warning.

You can go ahead and submit a ticket to the Helpdesk and attach your saved game file (include any necessary password) and we will look it over. The file will probably have to be less than 10MB to be attached to an email (possibly even less than that - which may be a problem).

As I mentioned previously, all we will probably be able to do is to confirm whether that file generates an 'out of memory' error on our machines. If we do confirm that we experience the problem too, I still don't think that Charles will get a look at this soon. Possibly once further coding work starts on CMSF NATO, it may be submitted as a bug (with possibly more information available with debug versions of the code).