Problems with new PC - Please help!

Hello,

I have just purchased a new Dell 4300 with 256MBRAM and a 64MB GeForce2 MX card, 19”monitor. My version of CMBO is 1.12 and I am using DirectX8.1. Windows XP is my OS.

I am having many, maybe unrelated problems playing CMBO.

My problem starts when I run CMBO, I am confronted by a message on my screen:

“Attention 108k / 99Hz, Frequency is out of range”

This disappears and I am at a screen that says

“3D DirectX Test

Click ACCEPT to select this graphic mode

Primary Display Driver

Resolution" etc. etc

It then cycles through different screen resolutions and refresh rates.

If I pick a screen resolution I go to the CMBO title screen. None of the “Play Game” etc. buttons are active, except there is a message box overlaying them all which is the only box active and when I click the game quits and returns to desktop. I am not able see the writing in the black box, all I know is that it is the only box active.

Please help me if you can, I am at the end of my patience with this.

Thanks

FUBAR’D

Did you copy over an installation of CMBO to your new Dell ? The initial error is due to the Prefs file requesting a resolution that your card/driver/monitor combination isn't setup for or not capable of. What resolution did you end up selecting ?

When you say 'none of the "play game", etc. buttons are active' what do you mean ? If you click on them they don't go anywhere ? Is your CM CDROM in the drive (the 'message box' may be the warning that there is no CD present - clicking OK shuts down CM and returns you to the desktop).

Windows XP comes with the 12.41 (IIRC) NVidia drivers, which aren't the best for CM. As Lars pointed out there are some issues with the NVidia drivers and Windows 2000/XP. To see the color white in many of the 2D screens you have to ESC or ALT-TAB and re-maximize CM for white to come up opaque. At that point you should be able to read most of the 2D screens properly (though this method doesn't exactly work with some of the PBEM/Save Game/End Game screens all the time).

I'd suggest that you download and install either driver v. 23.11, 21.83 or 14.70.

You'll need to enable FSAA (2X or 4X, though 2X will be a bit faster) in order to get rid of some white corruption that can occur in game.