The car engine of the future

REVS

Can't remember how long ago there was a thread here about hybrid engines and the future for motor cars, but I thought it's worth mentioning that the recently completed Paris-Dakar rally (run in South America for security reasons) was not only won by a diesel car, but nine of the top 10 cars were diesels, and only the eighth place-getter was petrol-powered (a V8 Hummer).

Linky: http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/jan2010/bw20100119_565428.htm

And then there's the famous Le Mans 24-hour race. For the last four years, it has been won by diesels.

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans_winners#Winners

Whoever still thinks diesels are slow are just a bit off the pace. As well as being fast in competition, the modern road-going turbo-diesels are ultra fuel-efficient.

As far as I am concerned they're the engines of the future - hybrids are just a sideshow.

Why isn't this message getting out in the mainstream press?

Yes mate.Seat also did well with a diesel in our British Touring car racing the last few years.But and here is the rub.

They had to change the rules to allow turbo's in.Only on Diesels though not the petrol ones.Because if they fitted turbo's to the petrol ones they they also would fly.In fact they would piss all over diesels.

So yes diesels are slow but fuel efficient.But adding the magic of a turbo works wonders. But at what cost.

Will a Turbo diesel still go round the clock if they are caned like they should be,and what is the point of fitting turbo's if you are not going to thrash the nutts off it.Because if you just pottle about then why bother with the added expense of a turbo and all the added issues they have(like needing clean oil and regular oil changes).As i said before when this came up i know of 6 people who have got or had turbo diesels and had to have new turbo's fitted(sometimes under warranty).In fact 2 have gone back to petrol engines as they were so fed up with diesels.

Plus if you are caning the nuts of it and driving on the turbo then i bet the MPG goes through the floor.In an ideal world we could all drive round in a fuel efficient manner and get stupid MPG's out of any car.But i know if i had a turbo diesel i would make bloody sure i used it when ever possible.:)

Don't diesels cuase more pollution though? That's kind of the point of hybrid cars.

AFAIK diesel engines produce more particle emissions, which is a big problem in cities. Biodiesels may have lesser emissions, but then they're made of orangutan blood so I don't know if it's ethical? :confused:

You're all talking about 1995 model diesels, which were dirty and slow. They've undergone a technical revolution in the last 10 years in particular.

Modern turbo-diesels are super-clean by many, many measures. They're excellent on CO2 emissions (my Citroen C4 turbo diesel is down around hybrid emission territory on CO2, and way, way better than ordinary petrol cars).

As for particles, all the modern turbo diesels use particulate filters (and my filter needs servicing every 180,00km - it works brilliantly for ages). My car emits 0.004 grams of particles per kilometre, which meets all the current Euro air quality standards, as well as new, tighter standards including those proposed for 2016. In fact the cleanest turbo diesels emit fewer particles than many petrol engines. The old 'dirty diesel' thing is now a thing of the past.

And on top of that diesels are winning all sorts of motorsport events. So they aren't slow anymore.

I'm just sick of all the crap about hybrid engines. They're expensive to make and buy, and there isn't one of them that's even vaguely nice or sporty to drive. And yet combine an environmentally conscious person with little knowledge of cars, and you get a hybrid enthusiast.

Yet perversely enough, most car enthusiasts and car journalists are still petrol-powered rev heads, and diesels are just too, too boring for them to ever admit they are the car engine of the future. Turbo diesels now represent over 50% of new car sales in Europe, and so they are becoming the car engine of the future, whether you like it or not.

I just love them and thought I'd put in a good word for them, even if no-one listens.

And on top of that diesels are winning all sorts of motorsport events. So they aren't slow anymore.

No one is denying this mate.But the average Joe public wants a simple non turbo car to go forwards and backwards to the shops,school etc.Once Turbo's start getting fitted the idea of a simple and cheap to run and repair vehicle goes out the window.What about in 10 years time when you buy a turbo diesel with 100,000 on the clock.Which should be nothing for a diesel whats the torbo going to be like by then and how much to repair.

Thats why most taxis and vans here are wanky old non turbo diesels (as they spend all there time going round towns)

Turbo diesels now represent over 50% of new car sales in Europe, and so they are becoming the car engine of the future, whether you like it or not.

Yes that right mate.But over in the UK we have massive tax differences for "polluting" and non "polluting cars.So something like a Prius gets massive price decrease due to biased tax fixes yet its open to debate how green they are.

We also have a scrapage scheme over her for over 10 years old cars.you get £2000 of the price of a new car.Because they are greener and do more MPG.But its just a green con as me running a 11 year old car is more eco friendly than me scrapping it and then buying a new one.

Plus i always take MPG figures of major manufactures with a large pinch of salt.