Help me, i love this game but...

Hi,

Every so often, during the final transfer of a turn ,during tcp/ip, I get an error starting like:

"c0000005 at adress "

Now, i have an Athlon 1400 , gainward videocard (with newest drivers just installed due to the "transparancy"-problem in cmbo), and windows XP Professional and creative labs platinum live and ctx 520 flatscreen.

Please help me, from other post i gather it is a problem with directx? But since i have win XP i cannot install/reinstall directx. :confused:

Do you only get this problem playing TCP/IP games ? If this is only occuring during TCP/IP games do you get an error 'ding' or a dropped connection ? This might be caused by crews getting captured. The processing (server) computer typically doesn't recognize anything is wrong until the other player is dropped. While the receiving player (client) gets an error ding while downloading the processed data for the turn. I haven't associated any of these problems with DirectX, but it is a possibility that it would crash.

"Do you only get this problem playing TCP/IP games ? If this is only occuring during TCP/IP games do you get an error 'ding' or a dropped connection ? This might be caused by crews getting captured"

Yes, i only get this error during tcp/ip. The opponent usually hosts, so i hear a ding, get the errormessage in windows, while the other doesn't notice until windows shuts my game down.

Please tell me how to fix this and thanks for the swift reply,

sebber

You've run into the 'crew capture' problem with TCP/IP games. When one side or the other is about the capture a crew (from a vehicle or crew-served weapon) in the turn that is being generated the client (the receiving computer in the TCP/IP game) will lockup/crash with the 'ding' sound during the download of the file. The server will proceed with the movie as if nothing is wrong until they are told that the opponent has disconnected.

There is no fix for this and it is a recognized bug (that doesn't exist in CMBB).

The only way around this is to use the autosave file from the client (that ended up getting locked up) and PBEM (or Hotseat if your opponent is nearby) with this file for at least a full turn or more. The previously issued orders will be lost, so you'll be set back a turn. Once any crews have been captured (the most common unit type to cause this problem - other units might cause it too) during the PBEM turns, you can then resume the TCP/IP game.

It's a hassle, but it is is the only workaround right now. I don't know if BTS intends on patching this after CMBB has been relased and patched or not. They have stated in the past that CMBO is a finished product, but they may patch it when time permits (but not before CMBB is done and patched).

[ April 09, 2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]