Concealment-rules of thumb

I'm conducting little experiments to determine the approximate distances at which units / trenches / foxholes remain concealed...but I fear that I might be re-inventing the wheel. The variables (as I understand them) which affect concealment are:

1. Size of unit (e.g. team / squad / half squad or silhouette size)

2. Individual unit bonus (e.g. sharpshooters)

3. Whether unit is hiding

4. Terrain occupied by unit

5. Whether 'spotting' enemy unit is at a higher elevation? (Not yet checked but it makes sense that someone at a higher elevation is more likely to see a trench from a longer distance).

6. Weather

7. Whether unit has a stealth bonus from HQ.

8. Unit experience? (Not yet checked).

Has anyone already done this and posted the results somewhere? I could be wrong (probably am) but having a handle on this sort of information has got to be critical to effective game-play. If nobody has carried this out, then I'll be happy to post my results when I've completed my experiment.

I saw Zarquon's list of %exposure depending on terrain occupied and season in another thread but I cannot translate % exposure into any practical use. What does 50% exposure mean?

cheers

Ravs

If you check out www.theblitz.org and do a search for a poster named PoorOldSpike, he's done tons of tests within CMBB and CMAK to look at different aspects of the game. Do a search for one called 'Cover Story' which lists the effects of all the different kinds of terrain on exposure. I'd upload the pdf in question here but its size in mb's bigger than allowed..

Essentially what 50% exposure means is that the targeting unit can "see" 50% of the targetted unit. Or in another way, 50% of the unit is not hidden and exposed to incoming fire. A unit with an exposure of 75% will be easier to hit than a unit with 25% exposure.

As for checking the concealment, that seems very ambitious! One other variable, at the start of a battle, before the first turn, hidden units are given some kind of camouflage bonus (as said in the cmbb manual) so they should next to impossible to see unless you are right on top of them.

Found an interesting thread HERE.

It looks like the short answer is that you if you try to analyse the issue of concealment too deeply, you'll go blind - there are just too many variables, whether the spotting units have binos and how many units are looking in your direction being a couple more factors to take into account. Experience, people say on that thread is probably the best teacher...

so there we are.

:: but there is this thread, which is the one I think pete meant::

ravells,

It's simple, really. If it's yours, it will be quickly spotted and destroyed, despite your best efforts to hide it. If it belongs to the AI or someone else, I defy you to engage it, even though it's killing your guys. There are corollaries regarding projectile resistance, odds of Bogging, then Immobilization and many other equally cheery topics. Best to get used to it, for it's going to happen, invariably at the worst time. I speak as someone who bogged a Jagdpanther--on damp ground. Not mud--damp ground! Care to guess what happened while it was Bogged? PIAT!

Regards,

John Kettler