query about AT teams

Hi There,

I just been playing the excellent 'Hammerstrike' scenario as Red. In the final stages of the scenario I hit a situation that puzzled me. It's probabaly me missing something obvious, but I thought I'd ask.

Basically, my AT teams stopped firing. They have AT weapons and ammo and they have LOS, but when I target enemy vehicles, nothing happens - the tooltip text just syas that they are 'spotting'. Puzzled, I surrounded a US Abrams with 6 AT teams at varying ranges, all with LOS. I targeted the tank but none of my guys would fire. At one point, I walked a team right up to the Abrams - not only did the Abrams not fire, but my guys didn't fire. It was as if both sides had declared an unofficial truce - which, by the way, would be a very cool feature! Well, after a few minutes of this I basically gave up on the scenario, as it was going nowhere. I gained a tactical victory but would have done better had my guys obeyed orders.

I enjoyed this scenario and the map is brilliant. Also, I don't really mind about things grinding to a halt at the end, but I'm just curious to know what's going on! Why do units fail to fire if they have ammo and LOS?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Hi There and thanks for the quick repsonse. The Abrams was slowly nosing around some buildings and occasionally loosing off some fire. But then it kinda rammed into a building for no apparent reason. It still looked 'live' to me, but maybe 'ingame' it was no longer functioning? I guess that might explain the situation? To be honest, I didn't reckon on a mechanical failure - I just assumed my guys would try to hit a tank if possible. Like I said, the scenario is great and I'm happy with the result - just curious about those AT teams.

Hi There,

I just been playing the excellent 'Hammerstrike' scenario as Red. In the final stages of the scenario I hit a situation that puzzled me. It's probabaly me missing something obvious, but I thought I'd ask.

Basically, my AT teams stopped firing. They have AT weapons and ammo and they have LOS, but when I target enemy vehicles, nothing happens - the tooltip text just syas that they are 'spotting'. Puzzled, I surrounded a US Abrams with 6 AT teams at varying ranges, all with LOS. I targeted the tank but none of my guys would fire. At one point, I walked a team right up to the Abrams - not only did the Abrams not fire, but my guys didn't fire. It was as if both sides had declared an unofficial truce - which, by the way, would be a very cool feature! Well, after a few minutes of this I basically gave up on the scenario, as it was going nowhere. I gained a tactical victory but would have done better had my guys obeyed orders.

I enjoyed this scenario and the map is brilliant. Also, I don't really mind about things grinding to a halt at the end, but I'm just curious to know what's going on! Why do units fail to fire if they have ammo and LOS?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Is it possible you AT teams were inside the minimum range for their weapons? Some ATGMs for example have rather long minimum ranges (500m for one ATGM IIRC). If you are closer than that - which you often are in an urban environment - then the weapon won't fire.

You can check the minimum range in-game in the weapon picture panel. It will say something like "range: 100-2000m" which tells you the minimum and maximum ranges.

Most ATGMs have significant minimum ranges. RPGs on the other hand can be fired pretty close. Not sure about recoilless rifles.