Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TUSK revisited--the case of the DVRC

Was answering another thread and in researching the contract issuer for TUSK, I got quite a surprise when I learned that a part of the program I never heard of before included a remarkable piece of gear called the Driver's Rear View Camera. This is a thermal imaging device so tiny it fits into taillight housings and allows the crew to see dead aft while fully buttoned. This could really ruin a tank hunting team's day! See March 5/07 for details.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/street-fighters-m1-abrams-tusk-tank-conversions-updated-02546/

This nasty add-on isn't shown at all in the standard TUSK component pic, as seen here. Not one of the thermal items shown points back to the tank's rear.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_M1A2_TUSK_lg.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

This could really ruin a tank hunting team's day!

Regards,

John Kettler

About time it caught up with Leopard 2. :)

Actually its more an OH&S / Force Preservation thing so that the driver is certain that there's no friendly Infantry behind him before he reverses (especially as they have "re introduced" the Infantry / Tank co operation 'phone - also mounted on the rear of the hull).

Not that many Infantry huddle behind M1's for cover, given the gas turbine's roasting exhaust blast.

gibsonm,

Can certainly understand that, having learned why infantry was called "crunchies" by the armored types while my now retired brother was running Bradleys at the NTC. Seems a GI in a sleeping bag got run over when a Bradley, whose crew didn't know he was there, shifted position during the night.

I think, though, that the DVRC will be helpful in giving timely warning of an RPG team stalking the tank from behind, in darkness, dust and smoke. As for the M1 "hand warmer," my brother told me of a Mercedes Benz driver who tried to tailgate one during road movement in Germany and took the paint right off his hood.

Regards,

John Kettler

Sorry, am I missing something? You put a rear, hull mounted, telephone on a machine whose exhaust spews out Smaug like volumes of heat! Or are the TUSK models exhaust manifolds a different configuration?

Close but not quite. :)

The M1's exhaust is slightly off centre and the telephone is mounted on the safer side.

Of course if you could get the gas turbine to idle when the tank was not moving safer would improve to safe but gas turbines don't work that way. :(

That's why an M1's fuel consumption is the same sitting still as compared to moving flat out cross country.

I think, though, that the DVRC will be helpful in giving timely warning of an RPG team stalking the tank from behind...

Which crew member are you suggesting should be detailed to keep a constant watch on the screen? It would only take a few seconds for an RPG wielding ambusher to pop out of hiding and let fly.

;)

Michael

Of course if you could get the gas turbine to idle when the tank was not moving safer would improve to safe but gas turbines don't work that way. :(

That's why an M1's fuel consumption is the same sitting still as compared to moving flat out cross country.

Hmmm. Not really familiar with the engine operation on M1s, but I thought I had read somewhere that they had been equipped with APUs so that the main engine could be shut down when the vehicle was not expected to move in the next few minutes. The idea I guess being not only to conserve fuel, but also to reduce the thermal signature, which latter I would assume to be like hoisting a huge flag that reads "HERE I AM!"

Michael

Which crew member are you suggesting should be detailed to keep a constant watch on the screen? It would only take a few seconds for an RPG wielding ambusher to pop out of hiding and let fly.

;)

Michael

As far as I know because its primarily a driver's aide (like the Leo II) it has to be the driver since that's where the monitor is.

Hmmm. Not really familiar with the engine operation on M1s, but I thought I had read somewhere that they had been equipped with APUs so that the main engine could be shut down when the vehicle was not expected to move in the next few minutes. The idea I guess being not only to conserve fuel, but also to reduce the thermal signature, which latter I would assume to be like hoisting a huge flag that reads "HERE I AM!"

Michael

Sure they have an APU but its primarily there to power systems during prolonged halts (say in a hide at night).

If you're only stoping for 5 minutes, its a bit pointless as the power down, then power up process takes a while (and dumps a heap more fuel) than just leaving it running for the 5 minutes.

As far as I know because its primarily a driver's aide (like the Leo II) it has to be the driver since that's where the monitor is.

That's what I thought. So if he is watching this screen, he isn't looking where he is going, unless he is reversing of course. This creates a pretty nice tactical conundrum.

Michael

That's what I thought. So if he is watching this screen, he isn't looking where he is going, unless he is reversing of course. This creates a pretty nice tactical conundrum.

Michael

Well yes as:

1. He normally has his own "arc of responsibility" to maintain (and that's usually forward).

2. If its like the Leo II, the camera doesn't even activate unless you select reverse.

Mind you having travelled in a Leo II with this fitted its pretty scarey.

I'm used to leaning around and telling the driver, left, right, speed up ,etc. (because he can't see where he's going). With this fitted he has a better view than anyone else and if you are looking forward (because you are no longer required to direct the driver) it can be unsettling to see a wall or a tree go past coming from the rear of the vehicle. :)

It also requires some co-ordination as the driver has no idea of the turret's alignment so you need to keep him informed to avoid "barrel strike" (as the barrel clips said wall). If you are directing him its simple as the vehicle tends to travel slower.

For M1's exhaust, it is in the center, so infantry will just stick to left or right sponson's for cover, on the right sponson there is TIP mounted, besides this tank can be equiped with exhaust deflector, simple sheet metal that will direct gases up.

TACOM also think's about replacement for AGT-1500C, the most possible replacement is GDLS GD-883 1500HP Diesel, licence version of MTU MB-883 EuroPowerPack.

As for rear camera, M1 is more digitized tank than any Leo2, so the view from rear camera can be send to display in drivers station, TC or Loader who can help driver and TC in situational awerness, same thin on Israeli Merkava Mk.4A/B where loader is help for TC and driver.