UK Scenario "The Mouse Trap" - Scoring Issue

Hi all,

I apologise in advance for this topic which is not in any way related to WWII in general and the Normandy campaign in particular. ;)

I just finished playing "UK - The Mouse Trap" (excellent scenario, by the way:)) and was rather optimistic that I should have at least scored a Minor Victory. To my surprise and dismay, when the results screen came up, it showed only a draw.

The terrain victory points for holding the compound were not awarded to me (neither were they awarded for the Syrians, I stopped the assault outside of the compound).

This was baffling, because I had troops stationed in the 3rd floor of one of the compound buildings. When I had a look at the scenario in the editor, it showed that this building is part of the victory location. Still, I did not get any points for it - this seems like a bug to me.

Therefore, I made a save file at the end of the scenario (when the results are available), if anybody would like to have a look and maybe find an explanation for this rather odd scoring behaviour. The file is available at request.

Or maybe I just have a "Must win everything"-fixation. :D

Cheers

The game awards 'occupy' point if you are on the patch of ground and not the enemy. One wounded Syrian lying with one foot into the 'occupy' square could rob you of your victory.

...Oh, I just opened UK Mouse trap in the editor. The 'occupy' area is considerably smaller than I had supposed, I had thought it extended beyond the compound walls. That area looks defensible, now I'm scratching my head. Did any Syrians make it into the building itself? :confused: :rolleyes:

Hi MikeyD,

Did any Syrians make it into the building itself? :confused: :rolleyes:

No, I just checked to be sure .. no Syrians anywhere close to the buildings in the compound. Like I said, the british section of 7 men and the company HQ of 2 men is occupying the third floor of one of the buildings and should have given me the points... :confused:

Here is a picture of the situation at the end of the scenario:

mousetrapend.jpg

Anyway, in the editor I saw that the objective only gives the player 50 points .. that would have hardly helped me to win this .. too many casualties.

...Oh, I just opened UK Mouse trap in the editor. The 'occupy' area is considerably smaller than I had supposed, I had thought it extended beyond the compound walls. That area looks defensible, now I'm scratching my head.

I also had another look in the editor, the area is a "Preserve"-objective .. which, as far as I understand it, should be preserved from damage/destruction (also according to the manual).

The problem is, the buildings are already heavily damaged at the start of the scenario .. could it be that this is the wrong type of objective?

Anyway, having played it now, it is all about preservation of own troops, the compound objective only counts for the Syrians .. I set the wrong focus in my scenario tactics, being too aggressive. On the other hand, winning this without being proactive seems quite hard.

Did anyone ever achieve a victory (no matter which grade) in this scenario?

D'oh!

I just opened the game, played 15 seconds then cease fired. I didn't get the Blue terrain objectve points. Damned idiot scenario designer! In my defense (ahem), even after all this time victory points allocation is something of a black art to me. It had never occurred to me that simply selecting a rubble building facade in the map editor might deprive the player of 'preserve' terrain points. I'll have to investigate.

About the scenario being hard. At design stage I was intrigued by the notion of having a force in a well protected compound with 360 degrees wide open fields of fire, mortar support & heavy mgs and a visible advancing enemy, who still had to struggle to gain a victory. A lot of scenarios are of the "whack-a-mole' variety. The enemy pops up, you knock him down, he pops up someplace else, you knock him down again. In this scenario you're the unlucky mole. Whenever I pop up my head to fight the AI knocks me on the head. :)

Mad Mike, yes it's possible: I achieved a Major Victory after a Syrian Surrender. Stats:

British/U.S. Army - 750 points

Syrian Army - 191 points

British/U.S. Army - 27 OK, 3 KIA, 3 WIA, 1 MIA, 1 LMTV lost.

Syrian Army - 30 OK, 64 KIA, 54 WIA, 2 MIA, 1 technical lost.

MikeyD, the scenario was a real fun to play. All these RPGs and bullets whistling past while trying to keep all the vehicle's weapons manned (all my casualties were on this duty) against that wave of attackers. A piece of advice: the British unit that starts mounted on the TUM WMIK has an extra 7.62mm GPMG (apart of the vehicle's 7.62mm GPMG and 12.7mm HMG) that can't be used. So dismount them as soon as possible and send another unit (a four men one) to actually crew the vehicle. That extra GPMG makes wonders deployed on the rooftop of the compound, I tell you. And the 51mm mortar, even using the smoke rounds, is perfect to area fire that nasty Syrian HMG... ;)

Mad Mike, yes it's possible: I achieved a Major Victory after a Syrian Surrender. Stats:

British/U.S. Army - 750 points

Syrian Army - 191 points

British/U.S. Army - 27 OK, 3 KIA, 3 WIA, 1 MIA, 1 LMTV lost.

Syrian Army - 30 OK, 64 KIA, 54 WIA, 2 MIA, 1 technical lost.

MikeyD, the scenario was a real fun to play. All these RPGs and bullets whistling past while trying to keep all the vehicle's weapons manned (all my casualties were on this duty) against that wave of attackers. A piece of advice: the British unit that starts mounted on the TUM WMIK has an extra 7.62mm GPMG (apart of the vehicle's 7.62mm GPMG and 12.7mm HMG) that can't be used. So dismount them as soon as possible and send another unit (a four men one) to actually crew the vehicle. That extra GPMG makes wonders deployed on the rooftop of the compound, I tell you. And the 51mm mortar, even using the smoke rounds, is perfect to area fire that nasty Syrian HMG... ;)

Hi lomir,

quite impressive :).

I got similar statistics (5 KIA, 10 WIA, 3 vehicles - lost the WMIK and the hummer as well as the LMTV (quite useless in this scenario, got killed within the first minute:rolleyes:)).

I really got to appreciate the effectiveness of the 51mm mortar, it was crucial ..

Overall, very good scenario .. just remember to pay attention to your HQ units, if they die, you can't really win.