Does CMx1 run on ATI HD38x0 under ANY OS?

My 5+yo P4 is dying (and not very quietly). I've just bought the parts for a new system. I went with an ATI HD3870 based video card based on my happiness with my old X800GTO. Have been planning to install Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Now I read in many threads here that I should not expect to be able to run CMBO, CMBB nor CMAK on that setup.

I know Vista runs DX10 and XP runs DX9. I'd like to go with a 64-bit OS to take advantage of more memory.

Has anyone been successful getting any of the CMx1 games running under any OS (32-bit XP or Vista or 64-bit XP or Vista) on one of these new ATI HD 38x0 cards?

Thank you,

The short answer is NO.

The new DirectX 10 cards such as the 2000 and 3000 series from ATI do not entirely support DirectX 5 which is what the CM series of games run on. It depends how much interference you are willing to put up with. With XP and an ATI 2600 card, most of the CM games ran but with problems on the text shown in the game. There is a work around available but you still end up with the text surrounded by a black box and you cannot save any games because you cannot read the text box. This was unacceptable to me so I got an older DirectX 9 card on ebay for a cheap price.

As for choosing Vista, many people report problems that are still being ironed out in this operating system. So why make your life difficult? XP will be supported for years to come, it will support 2 (up to 3 in fact)GB of RAM and only use 1GB for the OS. Vista supports 4GB of RAM but uses 2 GB so much of the apparent memory gain is taken up by a much more bloated OS.

So the optimum set up is to get the best XP OS you can, fit the maximum RAM you could possibly use - 3GB - which gets you more memory than under a Vista system. Fit a top of the range DirectX 9 card which will run anything the games designers will come out with in the next 2 years and is now so much cheaper than the newer cards. I went for a Geforce 9700GT and it runs all my games perfectly, CMBB, CMSF and TW Med II.

You might try an NVIDIA 8000 or 9000 series card with XP but I know that new ATI cards do not fully work with CMBB.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Vista blows and Maxium PC says Vista will

be replaced by 2010-UUUUUGGGGGGGG......

Best card would be XFX-8800GS/GT from

www.newegg.com-it PCI-E express 2.0.

The GS 384mb-GT 512mb and the GS $129.00

GT from $150.00-$200.00.

As far as OS-XP pro the Best for CM but

you can try XP-Pro 64-can handle the 4-GB

ram-but XP can go up to 4-GB but it does show-

but it use it.......More the ram the better.

Vista was hurried plus MS is trying to trick

gamers of Direct-X-10 is better then 9.0c-it

isn't-not by much-just so you buy the new OS-

Don't believe the hype......

It just might be your Vista OS......

If you get ATI card-stick with Cata-7 drivers

you will see fog in CM now......