Calling all Mac gurus

I have had a curious experience recently. I noticed that Civ IV starts to slow down and move a little jerkily about halfway through the game and a lot is going on in my fantasy world on the screen. Since this was especially true if I have a couple of apps open (but not active), I suspected that it might be inadequate memory even though I had 1.5GB mounted. So I bought another 1GB and put it in.

Now here comes the odd part. Everything runs okay so far, but when I opened System Profiler, it doesn't show the new memory. Instead it shows slots 4 and 5 as empty. Now, I am pretty sure the store sold me what I ordered, which was according to spec, and I don't believe I damaged it on installation. It fit the slots and the ejectors closed properly. I used the same procedure as when I installed the first GB of memory three years ago.

But maybe I was forgetting something. I recall in older Macs there was a reset button inside the case that you had to push, but I think that might have only been if you were changing the battery (it was a long time ago and memory dims).

Anyone have any advice?

Machine Name: Power Mac G5 Quad

Machine Model: PowerMac11,2

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)

Number Of CPUs: 4

CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

Michael

Was the memory in matched pairs , 1GB = 2 x 512mb DDR2 ECC or did you get a single 1GB module, plus are they installed in the matching top n bottom slots?

Matched pair and yep, did all that. That's why it's so puzzling.

When I bought the Mac, it came with an extra pair of sticks installed to bring it up to 1.5GB, but one of the pair was unfunctional. As a consequence, the bloody computer wouldn't even complete startup. It took me a couple of months just to figure out what the problem was. Once I pulled the broken pair out and replaced them, everything was dandy. From that experience I know that there isn't anything functionally wrong with the new pair. But somehow they aren't doing anything, which seems like a contradiction in terms.

Michael

mmmm have you tried leaving/restoring the known working memory in slots 4 & 5 (3 & 6), and installing the new memory in the remaining empty slots.

So it's something like:

S1:

S2: 512 (new)

S3: 256

S4: 512

S5: 512

S6: 256

S7: 512 (new)

S8:

and if not successful try moving them around systematically in matching variations to try and rule out if there is compounding the problem a possible broken slot somewhere.

Could you describe what size memory modules you had working to make your 1.5GB and where they were installed.

Could you describe what size memory modules you had working to make your 1.5GB and where they were installed.

Sure. This is the current set up:

DIMM0/J6700:

Size: 256 MB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM

Speed: PC2-4200U-444

DIMM1/J6800:

Size: 256 MB

DIMM2/J6900:

Size: 512 MB

DIMM3/J7000:

Size: 512 MB

DIMM4/J7100:

Size: Empty

Type: Empty

Speed: Empty

DIMM5/J7200:

DIMM6/J7300:

DIMM7/J7400:

Slots 4 and 5 are where I put the new sticks.

Michael

BTW, this is what I bought. It appears to meet all the specs.

I may try moving it into a different pair of slots as you suggest although for reasons I won't go into just now that's more of a hassle than you might expect. So I may save that for later until I've heard more ideas on what the problem might be.

Michael

The new memory is non-ecc - and if your existing memory is ecc that could explain the problem as the two different types shouldn't be mixed.

This machine can take ECC or non-ECC memory. Please check which type you have and choose the from the correct ECC or non-ECC section. Do not mix ECC with non-ECC memory.

There are three primary methods for identifying and eliminating problematic RAM modules:

Run the Apple Hardware Test This is the simplest method and should be used first.

To run the Apple Hardware Test on PowerPC-based Macs, insert the Apple Hardware Test disc, then shut down the system. Restart your Mac then immeidately hold down the C key until the "Loading..." icon appears.

Once the program hardware test program has loaded, select the Perform extended testing checkbox then press the Test button. If the test discovers faulty modules, it will display an explicit message indicating which slot harbors it.

Use a third-party RAM testing utility If the Apple Hardware Test does not discover faulty modules but you still suspect that bad RAM is the cause f your issue(s), you can try a third-party RAM testing utility. The most popular tool for this procedure is Memtest -- a command line utility. There is also a graphical interface application driven by Memtest called Rember.

here's an relevant link

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1567141

which leads to

http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/

where you can d/l rember and a few other links

The new memory is non-ecc - and if your existing memory is ecc that could explain the problem as the two different types shouldn't be mixed.

Not absolutely certain yet, but I don't think that's the problem. I was very careful both times I bought RAM for this machine to order exactly what was specified in the manual.

There are three primary methods for identifying and eliminating problematic RAM modules:

Run the Apple Hardware Test This is the simplest method and should be used first.

Did that. Right away it came up with this error message:

post/0/2048/DIMM4/J700

I have contacted the vendor and await a reply. Thanks for your help, Wicky. This is not the first time you have come through with good and timely advice in time of need and I appreciate it.

:)

Michael

I got it to work. The problem was that I was dragging the folder into the HD icon instead of the desktop.

The game itself isn't running that great, especially on Beyond the Sword, because I can't get past the 1900s due to my computer's limitations. The original Civ 4 plays just fine all the way to the end, so I don't know what the deal is. My guess is that the software wasn't coded right for Beyond the Sword.

My machine is an iMac and it's only 3-4 months old.

I got it to work. The problem was that I was dragging the folder into the HD icon instead of the desktop.

Eh? My copy loaded itself onto my hard drive. I then made an alias of the icon to put on my desktop, but that was just as a convenience for myself. I could have put it in the dock instead, but that is already pretty full.

The game itself isn't running that great, especially on Beyond the Sword, because I can't get past the 1900s due to my computer's limitations. The original Civ 4 plays just fine all the way to the end, so I don't know what the deal is. My guess is that the software wasn't coded right for Beyond the Sword.

There is quite a bit more stuff in BtS, so there is more for your computer to do. The size of your world has an enormous effect on how will it runs on a marginal machine too. If you are playing in a large or huge world with maybe 4 or 5 AI controlled opponents, you might think about slimming down a bit.

Michael