Can a Mortar team hold ground?

• 5 weeks later...

Crews can occupy positions, as well as FO teams, leadership teams, and depleted fire teams. It can get really gamey though. However, I normally move my dismounts that were dismounted due to enemy action to a single rally point while my combat troops take care of the wet work. This point is normally an objective already taken, if one is availible.

And in response to the Fighting Seabee, Why can't you assault a position with dismounts? I know they don't have an assault command, but that's easy enough to do via waypoints and movement orders. I can say that 2 Humvee logistics crews have taken a warehouse and held it against 3 SF squads while waiting for their 2 Stryker loads of 'assists'.

I've also had more than one Battalion XO or Commander take down a building (and I know this happened in Iraq in '03, a buddy of mine ended up being the number 2 man on this particular Major's 2 man squad. Fortunately there wasn't anyone in there, because an M16+203 a laser designator, and a pistol don't really count for much in a 2 story motel.). Is it risky? Yes, but in war sometimes you have to take great risks to gain great rewards. And I've met very few company or battalion commanders that were too 'sensible' to not 'lead the charge' if they were right beside the objective. And my favorite thing to do with those seemingly tactically useless leadership units? Load'em up with all the Javelin rounds you can muster and put them in a nice tall building. Keeps your infantry teams together and gives you nearly unroutable AT firepower.