CPU freezing

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone can help with a general crashing/freezing problem. I have an AMD 3000+ XP and FX5900 card with 1gig of ram. I experience frequent game freezes. I have the latest drivers and my CPU temperature never rises above 59 degrees C. I am running Windows XP.

Sometimes my crashes are recorded by the event viewer. Things like

Source: Service Control Manager Event: 7000

Source: DCOM Event: 10010

And

Source: Application error/hang Event: 1000/1002

It’s all greek to me but I am wondering if there is anything useful that might be extracted, this is becoming very frustrating,…..

Thanks in advance,

John

I have a similar system (64 3200+, 1GB RAM, FX5900XT). I had lock-up/crash problems when I upgraded from 512MB RAM - the culprit was a bad RAM stick. Swapped it out and everything was fine. Some hardware testing, as suggested, is certainly in order.

BTW, the temps you see are about the same as what I get on my rig, and I have had no temp-related issues.

Hello again,

Well memtest shows no problems. I have removed one stick and now I am getting reboots during gaming. I disabled the autorestart and the blue screen lists the following error

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Please tell me that this means something to someone, it's driving me crazy. I have seen some posts suggesting that power issues can lead to problems similar to those I am having. my own is 400W, does it need to be higher?

Thanks again to all who offer advice,

John

Is there anything else that you run that can cause the same problems other than CM ?

What Front Side Bus speed is your XP3000+ running at, 200MHz or 166MHz ? What brand and speed of memory do you have installed ? What motherboard are you using ? Have you checked for any BIOS updates for it (though it would be rare for them to fix the type of problems that you're having) ?

While MEMTEST86 is great, it won't necessarily catch all bad or incompatible RAM. Did you run it with both pieces installed ? Are you running in 'Dual Channel Mode' with your memory (a feature that is available only on certain chipsets) ? Have you swapped the piece of RAM that you originally removed back in and taken the other piece out ? Is your system more unstable running just the single piece of memory ?

Microsoft lists your DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem as being related to a faulty driver or system service. Unfortunately even that clue may not be completely accurate in a number of cases. Since you're getting a number of different errors it may not really be driver related.

Though you've probably already done the searches, here's another website for your IRQL problem. You're computer sounds new, but you may want to run some disk diagnostics on it (preferably both CHKDSK /F and whatever disk diagnostic is avaible from your hard drive manufacturer).

I wouldn't necessarily think that you need more wattage, but possibly better quality power. While a power supply may be rated to put out so much wattage, it may not do it reliably (voltage fluctuations, "noisy" power or other stability issues). A better power supply (such as Antec, Enermax, Sparkle/Fortron, etc.) may not fix your issues though.

One thing I would suggest, if the feature is available in your BIOS setup, is to increase the memory voltage to the next increment (i.e. - 2.6V if it is at 2.5V already). This may make your system memory more stable.

[ June 21, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Schrullenhaft,

Thanks for the extensive response. I may have solved the problem following on from your suggestions. I have the latest BIOS installed and decided to check through it last night. The only two RAM frequency options available were "Auto" and "333" despite the fact that the specifications of my mother board (ASUS A7V8X) advertise 400 MHz compatability. Well my RAM was of the 400 MHz variety so I swapped it for 512 MB of 333 MHz that I had to hand. I was only able to play for about an hour following that but it didn't crash once. More testing to come. Fingers crossed that this was the problem and thanks for the help,

John

I never had the locking up problem but I did have a slow boot-up problem and in the system event viewer I was seeing a similar driver related DCOM error. The problem ended up being the driver that I was using for my video card was not Microsoft Certified. It was a beta release version of the soon to be certified driver.

My system specs are similar to yours. Your rig is a little more powerful than mine:

AMD XP 2800+ Thoroughbred Core 2.25ghz

Chaintech 7NJL1 Apogee Motherboard Nforce2 chipset

1GB Kingston PC2700 RAM in dual channel mode

Chaintech GeForce Ti4600 video card 128MB

One thing to note, the processor, motherboard and memory in my setup are all operating at the same 333mhz speed. Not sure if that could make a difference.

Good luck.

Originally posted by John O'Reilly:

The only two RAM frequency options available were "Auto" and "333" despite the fact that the specifications of my mother board (ASUS A7V8X) advertise 400 MHz compatability. Well my RAM was of the 400 MHz variety so I swapped it for 512 MB of 333 MHz that I had to hand.

John

I had the same motherboard and just swapped it out for a Chaintech. I believe the top end on the bus for this board is 333mhz.