Dedicated Host?

Innocence

Is it possible to set up a dedicated host like the Civilization Pitboss?

Since there's no PBEM feature, a dedicated host is crucial when it's impossible to get all players are online at the same time.

I've never heard of Pitboss before. How does Civilization Pitboss work? Does the game progress continually (at a slow pace), or does it do one turn per day, or something? (Just curious.)

To answer your question: there is no way to do that with EOS. I have thought setting up a system like that. If it does happen, it will be an added feature down the road, but don't expect it within the next three months.

I've never heard of Pitboss before. How does Civilization Pitboss work? Does the game progress continually (at a slow pace), or does it do one turn per day, or something? (Just curious.)
Basically, it's nothing more than a non-playing client. This means I can run it on my Windows server, set up a new, or load, a game and just leave it there for players to log on to and submit their turns. So it could be set to generate new turn automatically every 10 minutes or 24 hours, or it could be set to only generate turn once all orders have been submitted (or by forced turn generation if ie. a player drops out).

To answer your question: there is no way to do that with EOS. I have thought setting up a system like that. If it does happen, it will be an added feature down the road, but don't expect it within the next three months.
I hope you'll give it a second thought, eventually. By leaving out PBEM your're requiring up to 10 players to be online at the same time. This is ok for a fast 15 minute FPS session, but for a longer game as EoS is, it's not really doable.

I hope you'll give it a second thought, eventually. By leaving out PBEM your're requiring up to 10 players to be online at the same time. This is ok for a fast 15 minute FPS session, but for a longer game as EoS is, it's not really doable.

The orders system does work well for this type of game. There are a few issues to workout here before I can get it working - like how to handle trade agreements.

Example: Player 1 logs in, does turn, logs out. Player 2 logs in, does turn, sends trade offer to Player 1, logs out. Does Player 1 know about the trade offer before the turn processes? What about back-and-forth haggling?

The orders system does work well for this type of game.
It is indeed perfect for it :)

Example: Player 1 logs in, does turn, logs out. Player 2 logs in, does turn, sends trade offer to Player 1, logs out. Does Player 1 know about the trade offer before the turn processes? What about back-and-forth haggling?
True, same-turn player-to-player interaction is impossible, or at best very impractical. The counterparty wont get the offer till next turn, and in-game back-forth-haggling is next to impossible. But is that a show-stopper?

If it is, a workaround could be that players use out-of-game regular email/chat/Wave or whatever to reach an agreement (trade, diplomacy), then make and dispatch the offer in-game and accept the following turn.

Of course, it would be preferable to keep the in-game feel (plus you might not know any out-of-game contact info of the player). One possibility would be to SMTP (email)-enable the EoS client to deal with in-game communication, trade and diplomacy - just like this forum will mail me if someone responds to a thread or sends me a PM.

Could be done simple: Player gets a mail and must load game to respond, maybe re-submitting the turn (Most PBEM games use the latest received turn, ignoring the previous one - as long as turn hasn't been generated).

Or could be more advanced: Player gets a mail with offer, including a http url pointing to the game-server. Player can open the url in any browser, log in using player account and accept/decline/negotiate any offers - just as if you were logged in with a game-client. This requires the EoS-server to be web-enabled as well as SMTP enabled.

aggree here. overall, what difference does it make if somethings ends up being delay'd a turn or even couple turns. as long as people understand that the delay's are there.

whenever an ai declares war on myself, it is many turns before it actually does something.

d