Questions regarding modding units.

Hi all, I'm relatively new to CMSF, and I had a few questions regarding modifying/creating units to be used in CMSF.

I've noticed that from browsing the repository and GreenAsJade's Warhouse, that most of the unit mods *seem* to be reskins, not actually new units. As such, I'm wondering if it's possible to create new units, for example, if I wanted to simulate a small US Army SF squad of some kind, how would I go about creating these units?

My second question is, I was playing around in the scenario creator, and all was going well till I got to the elevation. I almost rage quit the program right there. How the hell does the elevation work? Is there a simpler interface I can use?

Thanks for your time,

Ice.

Hi, Welcome to the forums

1. You can only reskin units - BFC keeps a tight reign on modders. They have their reasons but I won't try to explain them as I don't know enough about the technicalities.

2. Elevation in the scenario editor is actually very simple when you get used to it. What you are doing is creating 'contour lines' on the map. It allows for some very precise modelling of terrain even if it isn't as visually accessable as other editors. If you want to create a hill, just draw a series of concentric rings, each one higher than the last as you move towards the centre. As you get used to it you will quickly be able to create concave/convex hills, ridges, gullies etc.

If you need extra help, try opening another scenario designers work and see how they do it - everyone has their own style!