Deleting alternate language directories...

sfhand

The game will run fine without them unless, of course, you change the language within the game to one of the deleted languages. I forget what happens, though I do know it isn't good ;)

I don't think the patch installers will have a problem. If they do, all you would need to do (probably) is create dummy directories. However, there shouldn't be an issue with patching.

Steve

Gotta correct Steve a little... ;)

You can safely delete the language directories if you're not using them (read: if you are playing the game with the default english language option from the options menu). If you delete them and switch to a different language, you're simply not going to see any missions or campaigns etc. as they get pulled from those directories if you are using a non-english setting.

The 1.21 patch (and future patches) make it optional to install these files in the first place. With prior patches they were installed if you wanted them or not.