No AI in Milk Run?

Ok so I'm playing through this one and it looks like the AI is totally non-existent. It's not reacting to my forces AT ALL. Just letting itself get bombed and artied to hell with impunity. I event sent a few humvee scouts over the main hill area (with the village below), one got damaged and they both wheeled back. Even though several tanks spotted them there were no attempts to pursue.

Did they forget to program the AI or something on this mission?

I'm pretty disappointed since this was supposed to be one of the harder missions (from what I'd heard)

I have the benefit of being able to crack the standalone scenario. Let me check...

*Spoiler Alert*

Yeh, there is a Red AI orders set, but it is minimal - just moving some reinforcements about, mostly.

But that's the thing about defensive battles. If you've got defending group A covering group B defending Group C ambushing spot D, you don't dare shift anybody. If you start shuffling defending units about they turn into targets. My own scenarios, on occassion I've resorted to 'sacrificial' units to give the illusion of dynamic movement. A civilian taxi driving down the street, a patroling squad I fully expect to die once spotted. Or else I anticipate defeat and have everyone get up and run away at minute 50 :)

Even though several tanks spotted them there were no attempts to pursue

Neither CMx1 or CMx2's AI could react to sighting an enemy unit in this manner. You would need a trigger based AI to allow units to react in this way and even then it might not 'pursue' but start moving towards its next objective which may coincide with the direction of flight of the triggering units. CMx2 may very well have trigger based AI at some point in the future so we'll get a chance to see what we can do with it.

Regarding AI Defensive battles, there is actually quite a lot a scenario designer can do without moving units around. Just because you don't see anybody moving doesn't mean there's no AI plan. There are no movement orders in 'UK It Ain't Half Hot Mum' but it took me a long time to get the three RED AI plans right.