Hornets and Tomcats

Well, you'd have to ask a Marine aviator to be sure, but given the fact that BFC got their info from real Military Aviators, I assume that they got good information that Marine AV-8s might be used for strafing runs but the Marine F-18s probably would not.

This does make some sense; the vectored thrust of the AV-8s gives them much better low-speed maneuverability, which is important in low-level flying and threat avoidance.

Actually, Spitfire may have a point. Selecting "Target Light" *used* to usually mean a strafing run for fast movers. Now that the strafing run capability has been removed, I'm not sure it's been reset. I haven't tested it myself -- personally, I never found the strafing runs very useful for these assets so I didn't use them much back when we had them. The 30mm on the A-10 is another story...

At the very least, if Target Light does nothing for these assets, it should be greyed out in the interface or something so that the player is aware.

At an Airshow i was at they did an "airfield attack" that included a simulated Cannon strafe by an RAF Tornado GR4. Also one of the reasons (i was told) that the Harrier GR9's are being replaced by torny's is that they have a cannon and can strafe. But then were getting into the whole Afghanistan vs Real war with real Air defences.

Do western airforces ever use unguided bomb runs in Afghanistan anymore? I'd love to see a stick of bombs delivered onto a enemy trench or stronghold in CMSF. JDAM's are just so clinical and precise.

A-10s were shooting unguided rockets (mostly Illum) and did drop a few Mk82s while I was there...but no the F-15Es were loaded with 1 GBU-31, 3 GBU-38and, 3 GBU-12s. They had the cannon and it was used VERY sporadically...a bit of laughing point between teh A-10 and F-15 guys at standup every morning.