9.10 Cats & Sf 1.20

Just really to reiterate what others have said, 9.10 cats work with SF. However there are still some issues. If you select Open GL triple buffering from the 3d menu in the CCC it will cause a crash to desktop in the game menu. (Windows 7 users, untested in XP/Vista). This setting is DISABLED by default.

I am using Win 7 Home Premium 64bit with a ATI 5850 and the latest drivers. It runs very nicely with AF enabled and I am going to see how far I can push the graphical effects now whilst remaining playable. It's certainly faster (1920x1200) than with the Nvidia 275 I had prior.

I look forward to your findings Phil as I will be purchasing a new computer in the next week or two and I was wondering whether to go with N-vidia or ATI. In fact the 5850 is the card i'm leaning towards.

Can I ask what your other specs are? Processor? Ram? I'm looking for a good computer to run the CM2 family of games.

Sure thing.

Gigabyte P55 UD2 motherboard

i5 750 @ 3.4ghz

4gb ram

Win 7 Home Premium x64

ATI XFX 5850

hand-built by me. If you want something doing properly, do it yourself :)

The ATI is definitely the card of the moment, and it is undeniably quick. I've read that it is comparable to a Nvidia 285 in some instances and when you start to overclock it, well, it is amazing value for money. With regard to these games, it's a mixed bag really. The Nvidia's are generally very smooth and hassle free although there are some issues with the latest forceware drivers. ATIs cats on the other hand have now fixed the major problem with Shock Force and should be fine. I'd sway towards the ATI personally.

Thanks for the information. Your set-up is very similar to what I have in mind although I may go with an i7. I won't be building mine though :)

I've always had Nvidia cards in my computers but with the problems they are having with the latest drivers, I may give ATI a try. I've read good reviews on the 5000 series cards as well. Thanks again.

Hello, I have an almost identical setup:

P6T X58

Intel I7 920

3GB RAM

ATI 5850 with Cat 9.10

Windows 7

This runs ArmA and Black Shark lovely, however for the life of me cannot get CMSF working. Tried all compatibility combinations, resetting GPU settings and twiddling with the settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't believe any of the "compatibility settings" in Windows 7 are necessary for CMSF and probably wont' do anything.

Where did you purchase your copy of CMSF, was it directly from Battlefront.com ? I ask because different versions use different licensing mechanisms and that may be what is causing your problem.

If you have a Battlefront.com copy of CMSF, then you will be using eLicense. To run the game it has to be licensed, which will usually lauch a dialog box when you run the game to license it. If you never see this, then your system is interfering with eLicense. This may be a DEP setting (somewhat rare now) or an anti-virus/firewall program that is preventing it from running or communicating.

I'm afraid I bought the paradox version, something which I regret now for a few reasons. However I forgot to mention that the game does load into the menu, it's on loading a mission that it fails. It always crashes at 93%, loading the world. If I disable the compatibility it crashes at around 36%. I am going to try a reinstall.