Re-Installed Windows...Now Can't Run CM

Just yesterday, I had to re-install Windows from DOS. Don't know if it makes any difference but I renamed my old Windows folder "Winold" and then put the new version in Windows folder.

After doing this, I wasn't able to start up CM and when clicking on exe file, I got the message, "Unhandled exception c0000005" at address 0056232d0." Then I get, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

I tried re-installing CM by backing up old version and then installing anew. Same problem. Then I tried playing from the CD itself and still got the same message...from the CD itself!

What's going on here? How do I get back up and running?

My specs are: AMD K6-2 500mhz, 384 MB RAM, Voodoo 3 2000, Win 98 (2nd Ed.--I think. Someone tell me how to find out which one it is please.)

One way of finding out which version of Windows you're running...

Go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > General tab > under System: you'll have the Windows version ("Second Edition" will be spelled out if it is). Second Edition's version number is 4.10.2222A.

As Ellros pointed out - the error you are seeing is due to DirectX. Win98 2nd Ed. comes with DirectX 6.1 while the 1st Ed. comes with DirectX 5.0. 6.1 should be sufficient to play CM, but some video drivers may prefer something newer.