Scenario Making Help

Trying to set a terrain objective with a link to reinforcements.

I want my guys to Assault OBJ A, and get reinforcements when they take it.

1) Which terrain objective modifier do I use? 'touch', 'destroy', or 'occupy'. It seems that 'occupy' doesnt work or is not clearly defined. I THOUGHT 'destroy' meant to destroy all enemy forces within the objective, but I'm thinking thats not the case after testing it out. And I dont want to use 'touch' because that means I can take the objective without killing the enemy...in that case its not really 'taking the objective'

2) Reinforcements linked to an objective....All I see in the scenario editor are reinforcements linked with preset times.. any way to change this?

Thanks in advance.

BTW. I'm working on a Red Army vs Red Uncon mission where the Red Army Mech commander (BMP3's) is tasked with cleaning up an insurgent-held part of a city. Trying to link in a T-62 tank platoon as reinforcements when Objective 1 is taken. I'm having tons of trouble with the setup of the insurgents (AI tools isnt working. I'm setting their 'setup order', but they're not setting up there).

1) Which terrain objective modifier do I use? 'touch', 'destroy', or 'occupy'. It seems that 'occupy' doesnt work or is not clearly defined. I THOUGHT 'destroy' meant to destroy all enemy forces within the objective, but I'm thinking thats not the case after testing it out. And I dont want to use 'touch' because that means I can take the objective without killing the enemy...in that case its not really 'taking the objective'

RTFM, p.102

I'm having tons of trouble with the setup of the insurgents (AI tools isnt working. I'm setting their 'setup order', but they're not setting up there).

You need to overlap the 'setup order' (AI editor) with the 'setup area' (Map editor) that the unit occupies (Units editor -> deploy units).

1) Use Occupy if they need to hold on to it. I think it's whoever occupies that painted terrain when the scenario ends.

2) You can select a time in 5 minute increments. So if you have a unit set to R1 in the unit selection area (R2 for group 2, etc), you can then go to reinforcements and set group 1 to the time you want them to arrive.

3) You can't have reinforcements show up when an objective is taken. It has to be based on time.

4) When setting up, make sure they have their starting setup zone painted. Then place the insurgents where you need them within that zone. When they are all in their perfect ambush zones, exit the setup and SAVE. Make sure to SAVE. I've lost a lot of work because I carelessly clicked the load button.

I hope this helps and we'll be expecting a scenario soon!

Trying to set a terrain objective with a link to reinforcements.

I want my guys to Assault OBJ A, and get reinforcements when they take it.

Unfortunately, you are unable to do this with the CMSF editor. I share your pain that we can't do that. As others have mentioned earlier, you have seven reinforcement slots and you can choose the time each 'slot' arrives, and further add a degree of uncertainty to that arrival time by adding a +/- delay.

There are several different types of Terrain Objectives, 'Occupy' and 'Touch' being two of them. Basically, when you create an OCCUPY objective, you will get the points for this if your side has at least one good order unit within that area while the enemy has none. If both sides occupy then neither side gets the points, that is assuming you paint identical zones for both sides. There's actually a few ways to utilise this objective to create certain effects but you can learn about those later.

TOUCH means that the side will get the point reward merely for having a unit enter that zone regardless of its type or the presence of enemy units. Once touched, the zone disappears and you get notified - the same sound as when reinforcements arrive.

2) Reinforcements linked to an objective....All I see in the scenario editor are reinforcements linked with preset times.. any way to change this?

Already covered...

Thanks in advance.

BTW. I'm working on a Red Army vs Red Uncon mission where the Red Army Mech commander (BMP3's) is tasked with cleaning up an insurgent-held part of a city. Trying to link in a T-62 tank platoon as reinforcements when Objective 1 is taken. I'm having tons of trouble with the setup of the insurgents (AI tools isnt working. I'm setting their 'setup order', but they're not setting up there).

In the map editor you will have to 'paint' at least one set up zone (there are three) for one or both sides first if you want the AI to set up its own units. If you don't paint a set up zone for a side, the units will always start the scenario set up where you find them in the editor. Once you've painted the set up areas, you can then 'paint' locations in the AI editor within these set areas and the AI will tthen deploy stuff depending on the set up orders you gave them.

If you want to see how others have done this, open up a couple of scenarios in the editor and have a look at the AI plans. Then you can come back and ask us about Exit Before/ Exit After :D

I like Red on Red stuff myself so it's in my own interests to get you up and started with the editor. It's a complicated beast and some of us 'old hands' have been using it for a long time now and sometimes forget how difficult it is to get started. If you need any more help, just holler...:D

Ok. I got the setup zones working (thanks guys!) now I just need a good ending.

I wish you could end a map based on terrain objectives.

IE - If I captured Objective A, and Objective B then the scenario ends.

I set the win conditions to be if Blue Enemy Casualties reaches 90%. So basically if red loses 90% of their guys, you win. Not exactly what I wanted, but I guess that works. I just hate playing whack-a-mole, clearing a whole city and looking for a few guys. I want the map to end when I've captured the two objectives.

Any insight on this?

I know there was a serious discussion on the inside about ways to improve the editor and the AI. And if I remember, adding the ability to use triggers was something they really wanted to do.

If I may ask a question on your thread...

How the heck do you choose the mountain backdrop image of the map in the editor? I just realized I never really knew how to do that.

Ok. I got the setup zones working (thanks guys!) now I just need a good ending.

I wish you could end a map based on terrain objectives.

IE - If I captured Objective A, and Objective B then the scenario ends.

I set the win conditions to be if Blue Enemy Casualties reaches 90%. So basically if red loses 90% of their guys, you win. Not exactly what I wanted, but I guess that works. I just hate playing whack-a-mole, clearing a whole city and looking for a few guys. I want the map to end when I've captured the two objectives.

Any insight on this?

I would just put a note in the briefing telling the player to hit the "ceasefire" button once they think they've secured the two objectives. If they ceasefire and it turns out there are some enemy still in those areas he wasn't aware of, well hey, he should have cleared the objectives more thoroughly.

I would just put a note in the briefing telling the player to hit the "ceasefire" button once they think they've secured the two objectives. If they ceasefire and it turns out there are some enemy still in those areas he wasn't aware of, well hey, he should have cleared the objectives more thoroughly.

So there's no way to end a map other than the timer?