Newbie question about map editor ... pre-sale

DaveyJJ

A quick question to all those familiar with the Mission/Map Editor. I'm a designer/cartographer/artist who wants to make small-scale maps and engagements.

Maps maybe representing 400 or 500 yards square, containing your average stuff ... a few farmhouses, fields, a copse of trees, a stone wall and some hedges. One company defending (three platoons of three squads each) and no more than two companies attacking. Maybe a few support weapons (and HMG team and a few mortars). That's the scale. Nothing larger.

I want to add an objective or two (or three) to each map that one side or the other must defend (or capture).

That's all. So the question is, is this "easy" to do? Just stuff I can play with on my own and perhaps share if nice enough.

Hi DaveyJJ

I made my very first map (see El Guettar on the Repository) recently, and found it was quite easy and fun, once I got used to the way the various map editor tools work. Mine took a bit longer because I imported actual Google Earth imagery to use as my texture map and source for terrain elevations, but if you're creating fictional maps, the process should go much faster.

With your artist background, it should be a snap. But check the archives on this TOW mods forum for various postings that people have made about map editing and creation. Those tips saved me a lot of time and helped me get started. Even so, I had quite a bit of trial and error before I felt comfortable with the results. If you're a patient person, and if you enjoy learning new things, give it a shot!