Ammo Selection

I've found lately there's an issue with gunners making odd/silly ammo choices. For example T72 confronts a truck or Hummer and fires and AP round. Not a good choice. Also SPG-9s which are so far the only field piece represented in the game make outright stupid decisions, firing a tandem warhead at a truck when HE available is plain wrong. These issues aren't too big in CMSF but if they manage to get into Normandy watching my 17pdr fire it's only Tungsten shell at a Kubelwagen may get a little depressing.

No, not really. The AI isn't sophisticated enough to make beforehand decisions on what they should load, so they just fire what is deemed as 'optimal' for each target (which is unrealistic, but the alternative would be even worse, so it's a compromise). There may be some fuzzy logic eg. between APFSDS and HEAT, but that decision happens when the shot is fired.

What I would like to see is MBTs using their MGs (especially because most MBTs have a 12.7mm MG in addition to the 7.62mm coax) more on infantry and unarmored/lightly armored targets. As of v1.20, Bradleys and other IFVs are more apt to use their MGs than their cannon on infantry, but MBTs still seem inordinately inclined to use up their cannons on targets which could be dealt with just as well with their MGs.