I like to move it, move it

Affentitten

• 6 months later...

Congratulations with your choice. Don't know much about the other options, but I lived almost 6 years in Switzerland, 3 years in Lugano and 3 years in Zurich.

Obviously every place has its pro and cons, but I think in Basel, the pro's outweigh the cons.

Although close to French border, Basel is predominantly German speaking and with that goes also a bit the Swiss German mentality. I don't know to what extend you master the German language, but Swiss German is quite different and it's difficult to mingle with the locals if you don't speak it. I can tell you for sure, that there is even openly an aversion by the Swiss towards everything that is German including Hochdeutsch. So sometimes, better to show right away, that you are coming form the other side of the planet, instead of been taken mistakenly for a German.

If you don't have a EU passport, obtaining a L or B-permit can be a bit of pain. Make sure the company organises that you obtain the working permit before you show up at working place. Envious colleagues might inform the police if you are illegally working. If Mrs. Affentitten is joining you, the company should also arrange for her residence permit.

Regarding places to live, yes it is expensive, budget minimum 2'000 CHF for a 100 m2 apartment per month + 3 month caution, but the quality is outstanding and kitchen fully equiped. Swiss tradition puts the washing machine in the cellar and you share it with the other inhabitants. Strict rules apply when you want to use it!

Real estate agents are looking very professional, but are just the same kind of crooks as everywhere else. Good advice: Go through the inventory in detail and mark every little default you can find. On the other hand, if repairs are needed, they will provide immediately.

Try to get the company pay or compensate for medical insurance, since it is quite expensive. Most of the time company will also contribute in a private pension fund. (3rd pillar) besides the obligatory 2nd pillar. You can take this money out of the fund, when you leave the country.

Traffic: Behave! Don't speed! Don't drink while driving, it will cost you a fortune if you get caught. Buy a GPS with fixed speed camera warnings, the place is just swamped with these traps.

Else a great place to live security wise, breathtaking nature, nice summers. Winter can get a bit depressing in the lower parts, because of the frequent fog conditions that covers most of the time the Unterland. If you can find a place to live on a hill above 700 or 800 meters , you should be safe, but I doubt you will find one nearby Basel.The old town centers are full of trendy bars, you have festivals and lots of international concerts.

If I would return, I would rather prefer the French speaking part. I loved as well Lugano in Ticino and would have settled there for life, if the company had not decided to move offices to Zurich.

Anyway, I wish you marvelous stay and enjoy the new adventure!

Although close to French border, Basel is predominantly German speaking and with that goes also a bit the Swiss German mentality. I don't know to what extend you master the German language, but Swiss German is quite different and it's difficult to mingle with the locals if you don't speak it.

Who in the world would want to mingle with the Swiss? This is one of those cases where a language barrier is a good thing.

Congratulations with your choice. Don't know much about the other options, but I lived almost 6 years in Switzerland, 3 years in Lugano and 3 years in Zurich.

Obviously every place has its pro and cons, but I think in Basel, the pro's outweigh the cons.

Although close to French border, Basel is predominantly German speaking and with that goes also a bit the Swiss German mentality. I don't know to what extend you master the German language, but Swiss German is quite different and it's difficult to mingle with the locals if you don't speak it. I can tell you for sure, that there is even openly an aversion by the Swiss towards everything that is German including Hochdeutsch. So sometimes, better to show right away, that you are coming form the other side of the planet, instead of been taken mistakenly for a German.

If you don't have a EU passport, obtaining a L or B-permit can be a bit of pain. Make sure the company organises that you obtain the working permit before you show up at working place. Envious colleagues might inform the police if you are illegally working. If Mrs. Affentitten is joining you, the company should also arrange for her residence permit.

Regarding places to live, yes it is expensive, budget minimum 2'000 CHF for a 100 m2 apartment per month + 3 month caution, but the quality is outstanding and kitchen fully equiped. Swiss tradition puts the washing machine in the cellar and you share it with the other inhabitants. Strict rules apply when you want to use it!

Real estate agents are looking very professional, but are just the same kind of crooks as everywhere else. Good advice: Go through the inventory in detail and mark every little default you can find. On the other hand, if repairs are needed, they will provide immediately.

Try to get the company pay or compensate for medical insurance, since it is quite expensive. Most of the time company will also contribute in a private pension fund. (3rd pillar) besides the obligatory 2nd pillar. You can take this money out of the fund, when you leave the country.

Traffic: Behave! Don't speed! Don't drink while driving, it will cost you a fortune if you get caught. Buy a GPS with fixed speed camera warnings, the place is just swamped with these traps.

Else a great place to live security wise, breathtaking nature, nice summers. Winter can get a bit depressing in the lower parts, because of the frequent fog conditions that covers most of the time the Unterland. If you can find a place to live on a hill above 700 or 800 meters , you should be safe, but I doubt you will find one nearby Basel.The old town centers are full of trendy bars, you have festivals and lots of international concerts.

If I would return, I would rather prefer the French speaking part. I loved as well Lugano in Ticino and would have settled there for life, if the company had not decided to move offices to Zurich.

Anyway, I wish you marvelous stay and enjoy the new adventure!

Thanks for the tips.

I do cope with German, having lived in the fatherland for about 5 years back in the 1990s. But as you say, my Prussian Hochdeutsch is unlikely to go down well in Basel.

Our intention is to actually live in France, since this will be beneficial for a range of reasons, linguistic, passport and health insurance wise.