PC upgrade - proposed spec. Any issues?

I am finally going to do it. Having saved long and hard (god how I HATE buying PCs, state of the art today, abacus by tomorrow). Still, anyone know of any problems with this stuff:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+

Asus A7V266-E Motherboard

512Mb DDR

64 Mb Radeon 8500 (DVI, S-Video)

Samsung SD-616F 48xCD 16xDVD

Samsung SW-224B 40xCD 24xCD-R 10x CD-RW

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows XP

19" Samsung SyncMaster 957DF monitor

[ May 04, 2002, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Not sure about your area, but the 1800+ is at a much better price-point than the 1900+ (~$30US cheaper).

The Audigy may or may not have problems with the KT266A-based motherboard:

Audigy vs. Santa Cruz

And yes, the Radeon does not do fog in CM. Otherwise a very nice card. Excellent Anisotropic filtering; not so great FSAA. Don't install the drivers from CD; download either 6058 or 6071 and use those instead. See Rage 3D for all your Radeon needs.

BTW, if that monitor is the same as the 955, it'll only do 68Hz at 1600x1200. For 85Hz refresh, you're limited to 1280x960.

Good luck with your upgrade!

- Chris

Thanks folks. Think I'll wait a bit. NO WAY am I having a graphics card that don't do fog. Even my ageing Voodoo 3 3000 does, I'm not going to upgrade to go backwards.

[ May 06, 2002, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

I'd pick an Nvidia-chipset graphics card, but apart from that, it seems OK. Samsung DVD player is fine, CD-writer comes with cheapo cd burning software (at least, the ones I've bought have done) - and as for the motherboard, you might want to look at the A7V-333. That has 6 USB ports, including 2x USB 2.0.

Are you buying from a shop, or building it yourself? If you're buying from a shop, send me an email. I build systems like this and may be able to do you a better price.

• 2 weeks later...