Will the LOS tool be in CM Normandy?

noxnoctum

Tried asking in the main thread but didn't get a response, thought it deserved its own thread anyways.

The LOS tool is the single thing that's most needed from CMSF >>> Normandy IMO. It's so critical for positioning units in great hull down positions, figuring good covering fire arcs etc. Right now in CMSF we just have to guestimate and it really sucks.

I can't imagine it being particularly hard to put in since it's basically just a modified target indicator.

There is a LOS tool in the game already and its better then the one in CMx1. With the exception for units without any weapon, basically Jeeps, Trucks and most annoying the recon humvees.

You select a fighting unit and set a waypoint to where you want to check LOS. Then click on that waypoint and select Target. The target "beam" comes from the unit itself but it shows correctly what the unit can see from that waypoint. Thats it.

I have come to believe this whole LOS tool issue is some wargamer fetish, harking back to ye olde piece of string. They must have it, weither it's actually all that useful or not.

What's wrong with the Eyeball MkI in the very rare case the vehicle hasn't got a targeting line? As if going hulldown with a weaponless vehicle is at all important!

As if going hulldown with a weaponless vehicle is at all important!

Well, yes, going hull down with an unarmed vehicle is important. Mobility and concealment are precisely what keeps units like the M707 (recon humvee) alive.

I have been pressing for the "Target" and "Cover Arc" features to be activated for the M707 practically since day one to no avail. Yet.;) The "Target" feature is available for the M707 in the editor but not in-game, why? Correspondingly, the unarmed UNCON "Spy" does have access to the "Target" function, presumably to make LOS checks.

As someone who plays primarily with recon and light armor assets, I would love to pull a '707 parallel to a defile/building and set a Cover Arc to peep perpendicularly over the top/around the corner. As such, I could maintain LOS over a defined sector I designate, keep the vehicle concealed and be able to get the hell out of the position without having to rotate the vehicle first.