Help, Blue Screen of Death!

SlyFrog

Okay,

I just purchased and installed CMBB Special Edition (did not own CMBB previously, but own CMBO).

When I try to start it, I get the blue screen of death, along with the following things that mean nothing to me but may to someone else:

(0x0000008E, 0x00000200, 0xF51A6CC8)

I read the troubleshooting guide, it did not help. Antialiasing is turned off, my directx drivers are current, and no other game has done anything like this.

Help.

Does this 'blue screen error' mention any particular filenames ? The generic error address suggests bad memory during Windcows setup, however I assume that really isn't the case here.

Do you really have most other programs/utilities unloaded/turned-off ? I assume that you're not getting the resolution selections screens at all (an all-black screen with usually white colored text in the middle indicating the current resolution, etc.) ? That's a DirectX routine and if you're crashing during that process, then it would seem that something is having a problem with DirectX.

You can check the Event Viewer to see if it mentions anything regarding the error (probably under 'system' or 'application').

The major probability here is that there is something wrong with the drivers, and in this case the video drivers are the most likely culprit. However I would first make sure that nothing else is running in the background (anti-virus, CD-related utils(close down apps and processes in Task Manager). The CDV version is also a bit touchy about the copy protection, though this usually results in a 'no CD found' error when running CM rather than a blue-screen.

Yes, I had everything shut off, and was not even getting the resolution screen.

But good news. I redownloaded the video drivers again, and this time it started up for some reason. Now I have to keep playing around with it to see if I can get it going with the virus checker and other stuff on, but at least I got to see the game.

By the way, the first scenario I picked just to take a look at it was a small blizzard setting. Now I understand that graphics are not the point in this type of game, but the graphics looked considerably worse than in CMBO. Large pixelated gray blocks, broken up by large pixelated grey blocks with white specks. Is that what it should look like, or could that also be a problem I need to address.

By the way, I haven't mentioned it, but thanks for the help I've received so far here. It looks like it was the video card driver, and even though it took a couple of reinstalls, it did get it working, and that wouldn't have happened without you guys.