Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Syrian town map question. Help!!!

I have a problem –

I’m working on an extremely detailed 1696x2464 map of a Syrian town and the northern approach to that town. When I finish I’m going to post it at the repository.

Here’s the problem – I’ve spent so much time looking at the google earth image of this town and its surrounding areas that I probably know about as much about it as someone who lives there. Except for one thing - I haven’t the foggiest clue as to what the town is called. The coordinates are 33.52.40x36.41.14, 2 kilometers west of the main highway to Damascus (called Hwy M1 on the Google Earth). I would be forever in debt to anyone who came up with the name for this town so I can quit calling it Al Hemphill (Hemphill being my hometown).

Btw, the map I’m working on is very very detailed. Several months worth of work. Yes, I’m patting my own back here, but there’s also a downside. Just by looking at it I get the feeling that this is an old town - very crowded. I’m beginning to fear I may have created a map that will get a lot of oos and ahs, but probably won’t play as well as one that’s either based on a more modern town or one that's maybe a little less insanely realistic.

I reckon its Qaldun - I got there by a convoluted route (Russian Topo Map overlay + translation site plus gazeteer) - I may be wrong but here's the linky:

http://www.tageo.com/index-e-sy-v-08-d-m3503939.htm

I think that's going to be it, although I never imagined it would have that large of a population. I was seriously thinking 1 to 5 thousand. Then again, if I look at some of the larger buildings and think "apartments" rather than "businesse" or "warehouses" I can see where it could be more dense than it looks. I also thought it was smaller due to the fact it had such a small Mosque - as far as I can tell there's only one Mosque and it's only about 20 by 25 meters. Then again, I'm just looking for the tell-tale domes, so maybe there's another domeless one and I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway, I think you've found it; thanks a million.