New system and CM

OK I'll start right off and say I am not a tech type. I will not be fiddling with power or refresh rates, intalling Russian software drivers some guy found in a dark back alley of the internet from a guy with greasy hair and breath like Satan's armpits.

So that being said, I am looking at purchasing a new system. My old one is just shy of being made a Heritage Computer by the government, plus the coal I have to use to heat up the steam is not "environmentally friendly" apparently.

Now I am looking at buying a Dell 8200, 1.8 Ghz (roughly 8 times faster than old Pete) running Windows XP (I still hate Bill Gates on basic principals but by all accounts this OS works) and one of those hyper-light speed-more wattage than an aircraft carrier-smack my ass and call me Shirley, Nvida Geforce cards.

Now rumour for us in the outer darkness of the tech "know" is that XP and Nvida have recognized that CM will eventually dominate their marketplaces. (Yup people will just buy CM instead of a new computer or graphics card, hell it almost happened to me.) And have conspired to ensure that CMBO is damn near unplayable with this unholy combination.

So my questions is ( yes I do have one). Is this true and what (if anything) can be done about it?

You can read any of the dozen or more threads that I or others have answered. CMBO does have a problem with XP and NVidia drivers, but people have gotten a work around by using the 15.70 driver and 2X fsaa or by hitting esc once the error pops up. Others have had other fixes that worked. So, if you want to know exactly if that combination works, send me the computer and I will test it for you. smile.gif Seriously, there is not one standard fix. CMBB is working on my XP machine with 2 different GeForce Cards and a TNT card, but there is still a driver issue. NVidia knows about it, all we can hope is they fix it in the driver sometime.

Rune

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The_Capt:

And have conspired to ensure that CMBO is damn near unplayable with this unholy combination.

<hr></blockquote>

The flickering text problem is a minor pain in the kiester, but it hardly makes the game unplayable. My counsel: Don't worry about it. By all means, get the new system AND CM.

Gyrene,

You are out of line. Keep that crap offa my forum. You got a problem with someone you deal with it somewhere else! Not here and certainly not in the tech forum.

Iron Chef, if you have nothing to contribute of a technical aspect than there is no reason to post in this forum.

Consider yourselves BOTH warned.

Madmatt

Thanks guys, well everybody but Iron Chef.

I guess I will take the leap and hope for the best, if all else fails I guess I can keep playing on the old steamer.

As to Bill Gates, well he ran over my dog and then stole my girlfriend so we are finished he and I. Oh ya, his OS's have caused me more heartache and anger than should be allowed by law.