Flickering Trees with ATI Radeon 4330

Hi all,

I've been running CMSF/USMC/UK on my new laptop with no problems. Yesterday, however, I updated my drivers to the ATI Catalyst 8.12 set (including the Catalyst Control Center, which did not come with my default drivers) and now I have flickering trees.

That is, they flicker when I'm fairly close to the trees. Farther away and they look fine.

The laptop is a refurbished Dell Inspiron 1545 with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (P8700 @2.53GHz)

Vista Home Premium 32-bit

4 GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 256MB, medium settings

All drivers up to date

System pretty well stripped down for game performance

As I said, this is the first time that I've had the Catalyst Control Center installed, and so the first time I've been able to set various items (Anti-aliasing, etc) individually. Just mucking about, I can't find the combination of settings that will eliminate my flickering trees. Does anyone know what might cause this problem, and what settings I can use to get back to normal?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure what exact settings to recommend for this. What are your current 3D settings in the Catalyst Control Center ? What are your settings in the Options panel of CMSF ?

I can't recall off-hand if one of the "Adaptive Antialiasing" settings in the 3D portion of the Catalyst Control Center may affect transparencies or not.

I'll have to check later with a system that has an ATI card in it to see if I can duplicate your issue and what it may take to resolve it.

Another thing to try is to also update your driver, unless you have a specific need of the Catalyst 8.12 driver. With CMSF the Catalyst 9.3 is the latest driver you will want to use without a workaround (which utilizes an OpenGL DLL file of the 9.3 Catalyst). ATI frequently fixes (and unfortunately, breaks) things with newer drivers and it is possible that what you're seeing may have been addressed with a newer Catalyst driver.