Updating unit images

Great to hear you are enjoying the process.

Yes, a lot of mods lack "read-me" files :(

A tip for using McMMM: open McMMM, go to "options" along the top, check "warn on overwrite". This will give you a warning if you try to install a new mod over a mod already installed.

:)

White 76mm gun - Mikey D does one.

T34 - M41 MikeyD, M42 Pat M43 Uncle Tgt

T60 - Uncle Tgt

Flags, Foxholes and wooden fence - Juju

Wire - Phillippe?

Explosions - Malkovski

SPI stands for Saving Private Ivan. It does not change the terrain that much but does adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma to give brighter feel.

I have MikeyD's winter 45 but alas cannot find a whitewashed 76.2mm ATG, there is a German varient whitewashed but not, it seems a Russian one. Thanks for the SPI info, might be good for summer scenarios. I can't find any wire mod for CMBB, I'll go back and have a look, there is one from CMAK, does wire share bmps with the two games.

Are most of the mods from Cmmods available on the new mod sight? I do wish we could mod the game engine though!!

The wire mod works for all three games (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK). Back in the day there was a belief that one should only post mods to one game, so I posted the mod to CMBO. (Truth in advertising: at the time I only owned CMBO, which is why if you look at the original screenshot from combatmission.com -- Madmatt's unofficial CM site -- very closely you'll recognize buildings that didn't get ported to CMAK until much, much later).

The information packet included with the mod shows the actual sources. And the top coil of barbed wire in one of the jpeg's is literally the graphic source for the entire mod (one coil, distorted, reused in lots of seemingly random ways).

The color palette (in terms of brightness) is probably more suited to CMBO than CMBB (which to my eye uses a darker palette). If I were doing it again I would probably make the CMBB wire (but not the supports) a little darker -- and possibly rustier.

This may turn out to be a visual fetish born of my old video card, which gave up the ghost about a week ago. For some reason it tended to make metallic colors a bit too bright, e.g. the trim on the edges of the german officers' hats in the otherwise wonderful ATF mods.

(My heart is in my mouth over what is going to happen to my computer in about a week when my video card gets replaced. Last time I lost everything, but my one consolation is that through the heroic efforts of Der Alte Fritz, if my computer does go kaputt, at least I'll be able to reconstruct the Combat Mission part of it.)

P.S. -- once I can run programs again my return to the CM world is scheduled for mid- to late fall. I hope my old opponents will still be speaking to me by then.

Thanks for that, does that mean that if I download it for CMAK it will appear in CMBB. Next crazy question, having looked for mods that are not there, how do I go about making one?

I'd like an Elephant with the roughly applied green camo and I want to have a go at my own winterised versions of vehicles, most mods seem to have white wheels, whereas most photos in my collection show the wheels only partially white due to snow packing around the rims. I'd like to also make the faces of my winter troops far paler, to reflect the effects of cold and the list goes on. Is there an idiots guide to modding?

Some mods have been made for one of the CM versions, but "might" also work in the other two or just one of the other two. Read the "read-me" files in the mod first.

A way to check if you can use mods across the CM series is to look at the mod bmp numbers and the bmp graphics themselves and compare them to the ones inside the game directory bmp folder. I make a copy of each of the original game bmp folders for such comparison before I start modding the games.

You should also use a mod storage folder for each of the CMs and when you find a mod that is compatible with more than one CM, place a copy of the mod in the appropriate mod folder.

I think the barbed wire mod works in the three CMs. Just check the numbers to each games original bmps and place a copy in each of the mod storage folders.

As for modding yourself . . . I would get use to applying them first and understanding how they work :)

Each game has a separate BMP folder. For a mod to work it needs to appear in the appropriate folder. If you want something with a shared bmp number in CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK, you need to copy it into all three folders. If in only two of those, then it needs to be in the two appropriate folders.

Before you try making mods, make absolutely sure that 1) you have a back-up of the unmodded bmp folder for that game; 2) you absolutely understand how the skin underlying that particular mod works; 3) that you have an accurate list of which bmp's go into the mod (this is surprising difficult, at times); and 4) that you understand what size limits and dimensions and size multiple of proportions are involved. It's not enough to notice that the same vehicle occurs in all three games -- the three games might use different numbers of bmp's (or differently numbered bmp's for the same thing!). Finally, you have to be aware that many bmp's do double or triple duty in several different skins. A few bmp's still have more or less unknown functions, and a few can still turn up as weird and rude surprises (what's that German truck dashboard doing on the end of the gun barrel of a Commonwealth whatchamacallit). If you want to mod something, gather together all the previous mods and examine them closely. You'll usually find that most people overlooked a few textures, and a few occasionally creep in that don't belong. Dummy mods with exaggerated unrealistic colors and numbered parts are very useful for smoking this kind of thing out. Read everybody's notes (you'll find yourself wishing they were more verbose), and be aware that there are five or six things that can't be modded (e.g. mortars, bazookas, schreks).

But most of all, beware. If you start modding things you've taken the first step on a long and dangerous slope.

There is a 76mm Winter gun by MikeyD and whitewashed by Uncle Tgt at http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/147/details or http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/241/details

Green Elephants (not Ferdinands which are different)

Dey http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/683/details

MikeyD http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/1886/details

Winter Dey http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/224/details

All the mods from cmmods were transfered although we are having trouble with a small number.

There are several idiots guides to modding, but it may be beyond your limited IT skills.

Would it be easier if I just posted you a complete mod set for CMBB?

No, don't trouble yourself DAF, it's a kind offer but I'd rather search throught the available mods myself so that I get aquainted with them. How I missed the Zis3 is beyond me, but thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to start to mod but think a bit more time applying mods is the order of the day, though if I need any IT experience (writing code etc) count me out! Dammit Jim, I'm an artist not a number cruncher!"

I'd found all the Elephant mods (Ferdinand has retro-fitted the hull mg?) but none have the classic camo you seeon the KO'd Elephants near Ponyri. A gelp base with rough (brush/airbrush) green bands that link together. See this photo here

http://germandressdaggers.com/Panzer%206%20tiger%20Elephant.jpg

I will have to take a break now as real life pokes it's head around the door and fixes me with an icy stare!

Final question, if you could mod the CMBB game system what would you mod and why, limited to three top mods.