TXT file refuses to load

This is very frustrating. Am currently in the middle of an enthralling PBEM battle, but have a hit a brick wall. Number 29 that my opponent sends to me does not load up. I don't even get to the password screen: I go Multiplayer - Load e-mail, double click on the txt file and 'bling' nothing happens.

I sent the same file to a friend and the same thing happens on his machine. We've tried going back a couple of moves, to 26 but when we reach 29 the same thing happens.

Anybody know what this is about? Anybody had the same problem?

Which game is this, CMBO, CMBB or CMAK ? Do you get an actual 'error beep' when attempting to load the file or does nothing happen at all ? How do you receive the PBEM files, as simple text cut-and-pasted from the body of an email or as a seperately compressed file ? Though it may technically make the file slower to transmit, I'd suggest having your opponent compress (zip) their file to see if this helps.

Is there anything in particular that may be happening on Turn 29 within the game ? In CMBO if a 'crew' was captured (in a TCP/IP game), then the downloading player couldn't receive the turn and the game halted. I haven't heard of any similar bugs in PBEM however, especially since the CMBO work-around involved using PBEM to get around the 'crew-capture bug'.

So many questions! Sorry for not being more specific. I guess you get caught up in your own frustrations and leave behing a more objective assessment.

We are playing CMBB, and I get the error beep immediately upon attempting to open the file so it never loads. I receive the txt file as a separate file which I open in outlook and save as an ANSI file. File number 29 is no different except that it doesn't open in my or my friend's CMBB.

My opponent has just e-mailed me back to tell me that he can open his own file number 29 (but can't get beyond the password screen).

I'll suggest he zip it and send it and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Thanks for the help, LeeW - you've been doing this a lot recently!

However, the txt file checks out fine, it did not contain the error reported in that thread. My opponent has zipped the file and sent it to me, but the zipped file was corrupted. Am waiting for a resend.

Cheers

I guess this isn't relevent, but when I get the file in hotmail and open it in the new window, sometimes I don't wait for the whole file to load up, and so only save 3/4 of the file.

I guess you have checked the bottom of the file.

Is it possible for the opponent to replay his turn and save it again? I can't be bothered to think about it.

Yeah Rodent,

We've checked the text filr and reloaded from an earlier move, but as soon as it hits 29 its no go.

Next step is to send move 28 to a non-interested third party, get him to run the move through and send back 29 to see if that gets us over this hurdle.

Well I got the move from the third party and sent on my move 30 which my opponent processed and sent back (move number 31), and same thing as before! Load the txt file and the ominous "ting" sound results.

The kicker is that my opponent can load his own files (but can't go far because he doesn't have my password).

Any ideas? Anyone?

Hi Richie,

This game is vs a fellow BoBer off the challenge board. It's not related to any campaign. Have played him twice before without any problems.

Currently he has two games ongoing in CMBB without a problem, and I have another BB game going (in the Stalingrad campaign) which is in a later stage than this. So our systems function ordinarily in other respects.

Just to go through everything that has happened thus far:

The problem: txt file 29 cannot be opened in CMBB. I press the load button, select the file and get the 'ting' of nonaccomplishment.

The facts so far are:

1. other players cannot open his file 29

2. he can open his own file 29 (but would need my password to continue)

3. I can open and play his earlier files up to number 29 (and not 31 when a 3rd party ran my file 28 and passed it back to me so that we could continue the game)

4. Changing the file names does not make a difference.

5. the file structure seems to be correct in so far as the problem reported by Joachim, and by eyeballing it the file it look's complete.

6. copying and pasting the contents of file 29 into another txt file that works does not make a difference.

7. We have tried to zip it before sending it, but have been unable to since the zip file I received had corrupt file structure. Will report what happens when we get it right.

8. I think we both use PCs, but will just confirm this with my opponent.

So there we have it. Teethgrinding frustration at a breakdown in PBEM structure due to some mysterious phenomenon.

• 2 weeks later...