MRAP arms race?

akd

Sure, if you think a Log Spt truck should be in the business of assaulting fortified positions.

I can't help thinking that somewhere, someone (or a whole bunch of someones) has completely lost the friggin' plot.

Sure, if you think a Log Spt truck should be in the business of assaulting fortified positions.

This is MRAP not an ordinary truck, so when they are in ambush they can shoot at enemy positions not only by standard M2HB's and Mk.19's but also get something heavier.

I can't help thinking that somewhere, someone (or a whole bunch of someones) has completely lost the friggin' plot.

Why? Any argument why combat vehicle, and MRAP is a combat vehicle, can't have something bigger than MG?

There is NO way that said armament configuration is stable; that is, it has got to be extremely top-heavy, and prone to rolling over when an IED goes off. From some of the Taliban-filmed footage I've seen of them ambushing American columns I'd be crapping my pants big time if I had to ride in that thing while slowly hugging the narrow mountainside roads. One IED and *tilt* right down into the abyss.

Without question, due to its armament, it is the chief target when it's traveling in a column.

Makes me feel sorry for whoever is inside that thing. I hope it comes with parachutes.

There is NO way that said armament configuration is stable; that is, it has got to be extremely top-heavy, and prone to rolling over when an IED goes off.

Funny thing is that that you don't mentioned that standard MRAP have also extremely top-heavy, I seen rolled off MRAP's on flat terrain in Iraq (pics) after IED attack, and TOW launcher is not so heavy!

On MP.net there are some photos showing one of these things shooting IRCC.

Well, I guess "top-heavy" is not the exact word that I'm looking for then. What I mean more precisely is that the extra mass on top is going to make it far more likely to tip over. And yes, I've seen photos of MRAPs lying on their sides already. "Heavy" or not, that beastie is going to make it all the more likely that it's spilling over.

Funny thing is that that you don't mentioned that standard MRAP have also extremely top-heavy, I seen rolled off MRAP's on flat terrain in Iraq (pics) after IED attack, and TOW launcher is not so heavy!

On MP.net there are some photos showing one of these things shooting IRCC.

330xl37.jpg

A TOW missile is fired from atop a U.S. Army armoured vehicle of Dagger Company, 2-12 Infantry, 4th Brigade in response to an attack by militants at Michigan Base in the Pesh Valley in Afghanistan's Kunar Province