CMBO CD-ROM disk not detected?

I installed CMBO in to my new PC:

P-4-3.0-GIG-FSB-800

ASUS-P4G800E-deluxe

Seagate 120-GIG-SATA-150

Nvidia-Gain-5900fx-Ultra-1800-XP-256mb-Goldensample-Drivers-56.64's,

Pioneer-DVD-rom-slotless-16x-DVD-40x-CD-rom

Windows XP-PRO with 1st service pack installed,

Mind you that CMBB did this to,I tried to stick both CMBO/CMBB from program file to desktop,and

it still didn't reckonize both CD's or it said

extactly"No CD ROM detected-insert combatmission cd-rom and restart the game to get full functionality.Important:Game can only function

if you did a full installation". I did full

installation on both,I also transfered from old

PC in which runs Win-98SE-BMP's-Saved Games,PBEM's

from both games on to new PC,then I 1st took CMBB file and put in back to progam files from desktop and put disk in,it then detected CD-ROM

and played like a champ,CMBO I tried the same and it said-"Renaming,moving,and deleting 'CMBO'could

make some programs not work,are you sure you want to do this.and got option yes or no,also on CMBO

When one time it did run on new PC it would run then freeze a bit then comeback,then freeze 30-secs,etc,I've put in compalitbiltiy option from

Win-95 to Win-98-ME and see that helped and that really didn't either,allot trouble for a game,well

any help would be nice-Thank you.

:eek: :D :confused:

What version of CMBO do you have ? Is it the BFC (internet) version or a retail (boxed, CDV) version ?

I'm a bit confused, you attempted a clean install of both CMBO & CMBB, but you got an error during the install or only when you attempt to launch CM (the "no cd" error) ? I don't understand this phrase, "I tried to stick both CMBO/CMBB from program file to desktop". Do you mean that you copied all of the files from the CD to your desktop (and then performed the install) ?

How did you copy the files from your previous computer to the new one, did you move connect the old hard drive temporarily and copy over the files or did you use some other method ?

The "compatibility" modes will more than likely actually cause the "no cd" problem rather than help. None of the CM series should require these settings in XP.

Do you know what versions of CMBO & CMBB you have on your CDs (i.e. - 1.12 for CMBO and 1.03 for CMBB would be the latest) ? Typically the version shouldn't make a difference except for scenarios (ones created with newer executables typically won't work with older executables).

Not sure I understand what is going on either from your post.

I get the same message when I run CMBB/CMAK and I have forgotten to put the actual game CD in the drive (it will only let me play online network games without the CD in the drive). So I exit, put the CD in and restart w/o a problem.

Now if you are getting that message with the CD in the drive then it could be more complicated. I'll toss out some ideas for you to consider.

1. - does your ROM drive recognize CDs? (i.e., is it working? are cables properly connected, drivers/firmware up to date, etc.)

2. - Have you tried deleting the Prf files (found in the main game directory) and then starting the game up again?

3. - Have you changed any partitions since installing the games? I.e., changed the drive letter from D to E (or whatever). The program might have identified the CD-ROM drive path at the time of installation in some game file (e.g., the prefs file for example though this is pure speculation on my part) and if you changed the drive letter after the fact it might be looking for a ROM on drive D when it is now Drive E for example).

4. - Did you move the executable file to the desktop or make it a shortcut on the desktop. If you actually moved the executable file to desktop, it may be looking for other files that should be in the game's root directory plus others in some of the sub-directories (like BMP, WAV, etc.). If the executable is in "\Desktop" it might be looking for other files in "\Desktop" or "\Desktop\BMP" etc. which did not get moved so the program goes goofy on you.

In a way it sounds like this last point is the most plausible (if I understand your post correctly) so I would suggest that you move back CMBO.exe back to it's root game directory. I don't think you need to be too worried about that warning message (from Microsoft's CYA Legal Department) but if you are, instead of "Moving" the executable file you could "Copy" and "Paste" it back into the root game directory for CMBO and give that a shot.

Hope this helps

I have the same problem with my CMAK CD, but I have discovered which was the problem. My game CD is broken. At the begining it was a little break near the hole in the middle. I didnt see it. Later, break increased and now I see perfectly the crack. My computer cannot recognize the CD, and when I try to play the game I receive the same message than you.

I have ordered a new game.

PD. I know that is impossible because the piracy and counterfeit copies, but if I have purchased according to law a program, I should to be able to create backups or security copies from my CD. I have the three CM games. And if this accident does occur when CMBO or CMBB (the oldest) are impossible to be buyed? Im afraid about this possiblity, they are my favourite games.

Well I did clean install on CMBO/CD from BTS,same

with CMBB/CMAK,I installed all 3,CMBO-has the 1.12-patch,when I was done with that install,I burned all my saved games,bmp's,scenarios-pbem's

on a DVD-RW-4.7 gig-disk-then transfered new PC,

drop/drag into the folders,same done to CMBB.

CMAK I didn't because I've haven't moded or played

that much yet,but on new PC-CMBB/CMAK are detected

on new PC-DVD-CD-Rom,CMBO is not,but on old PC they are all detected,I tried taking hole CMBO

file folder and dragged and dropped onto desktop

from program files to see that would help,but got

that message,stated in my 1st post,I did that with CMBB and it worked,dropped and dragged from

program files to desktop,the back again and the CMBB is detected,also all 3 CMBO/CMBB/CMAK are original disks,not burned and no damages,scratches

,cracks,so either another clean install of CMBO

and do retransfer of files again I guess,any other

ideas are welcomed,and Thank you for the replies.

Another thing CMBB has all 3 patches installed in order and CMAK's has latest patch as well...

[ March 27, 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: TufenHuden ]

When you are doing the install of CMBO to your new machine is it an install using the CMBO disk setup program or is it by copying the files from your DVD-RW?

It is not clear how you are installing this but have you tried just instaling the version 1.00 from the CMBO CD and running it imediately afterwards using version 1.00? Does it run or not run in that situation?

I've installed CMBO-Ver-1.12,CMBB-ver-1.03,that's is running well,CMBO I'm having problems with,

I couldn't find CMBO in ADD/REMOVE programs to

uninstall it/inserted the disk and tried the uninstaller from there/but another funny thing

is that CMBO is in prgram-files,so I don't really understand how XP-Pro works,but I think it sucks,

98SE still better,my opinion of course but Thank

you for trying to help=)-siiigghhhnnn.

I bought a new computer, with XP Home installed. In the old computer, I transfered all CM directory to a DVD+RW disk and later to the new computer. I use the original CD to play and it works. But, as I didnt install the program (through set up) CM games arent in add/remove programs list.

The same with CMBO and CMBB. My CMAK disk crashed, as I told you before.

Therefore, the simply copy from your directory should work if you use the original CD in. At least to me. Im playing in my new machine and I havent reinstalled anything, only copied.

Tufenhuden:

I decided to load CMBO up on my new machine to see what happens. I have the N. American retail box version by CDV - ver 1.12E (so it installs right away to 1.12 - no patches needed). My PC is pretty much on par with yours but I am using XP Home (fully up-to-date).

Unfortunately after doing the install CMBO runs fine (I was hoping (?) that I'd see the same problem as you so I could attempt to isolate the problem, but no luck there smile.gif )

After the install I looked at Add/Remove Programs and CMBO does not show up. It is likely due to the way the installer works for that program (it looked to me as if it was just unzipping files and dropping them into sub-directories). It also did not write anything that I could see regarding "CMBO" into the Registry so that tells me XP will have no knowledge of its existance as far as add/remove programs goes. My CMAK does show up in the Registry and on add/remove programs because I loaded it straight from the BFS disk (just before 1.01 was released) and the install program writes information to the registry. My CMBB does not show up in registry because I migrated the full 1.03 version from my old hard-drive onto my new one.

So to clarify, when you load CMBO onto your machine are you using the:

1. original BFS internet order disc (which I assume would be ver. 1.00) and then patch upwards to 1.12; or,

2. A retail box version (like me) that loads up as 1.12;, or,

3. copying your pre-existing 1.12 version and its sub-directories onto the new hard-drive? If this is the case have you considered that you may have corrupted or missing files on the DVD-R which do not get copied and thus are causing you all this grief?

Just the saved games.Modded-BMP's,wav,pbem,and dropped dragged into there perspective folders,

CMBO always was tricky and it should,my BTS disk is 1.12 patch installed bought it new with the CMBO/CMBB package,so go figure,I've email BTS

support as well,maybe there busy with making new

CM,but some from them would be nice,with all do respect-Thank You.