Updates to the US Army/USMC with British content

One thing I noticed is that the British troops have a couple weapons that seem like they could easily be used to upgrade some of the US units. Namely the M249 para and the FN MAG without the M240B heat shields (I'm not familiar with the British designations off the top of my head).

The M249 para could be used to fix the current old full stock M249s for both the US Army and USMC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the kinds of units in your average CMSF battle, the para or other upgraded SAW would be much more common than what's currently shown.

The MAG could fill in for the M240G (I'd put some optics on both, but that would be some extra work).

I don't know how interchangeable and change friendly the game engine is, but it wouldn't seem like a lot of work to implement this.

It seems that even Steve is able to rapidly update things like this (see the thread reporting IBCT showing up with advanced SA80 family weapons). However, the game adheres to a surprisingly rigid 'did they have this during the period' attitude despite the fact that this is a game. All sensibility tells me they will keep things the way they are considering their historical adherance to other conventions despite the fact they're not fun (i.e. all US units use M4 despite vast amounts of issued M4A1 and even vehicle crews using firing port high RoF low magazine size weapons regularly for close in suppresion/protection). That's life.

That being said, CMSF and modules are the best modern combat games/modules around. I just wish they'd open it up for more modification. What they have, however, is very highly detailed and for the most part accurate.

Still, it seems that the 3-round clips in the Warrior/Scimitar RARDEN's stretch into 5-6 occasionally but what'ev... ;)

Still, it seems that the 3-round clips in the Warrior/Scimitar RARDEN's stretch into 5-6 occasionally but what'ev... ;)

It's got a curious loading system were it takes multiple clips. It can fire more then three round bursts but apparently this would cause the feed system to stop working until the breech was emptied manually and all clips were fully loaded again. Thus they tend to stick with three round bursts.

I have no idea how that system works or indeed why. It's seems an extremely unwieldy way to feed a cannon. Even if you want to save on space and weight, you'd think there are better ways.

(i.e. all US units use M4 despite vast amounts of issued M4A1 and even vehicle crews using firing port high RoF low magazine size weapons regularly for close in suppresion/protection).

Not so. As far as the Army is concerned, the M4A1 is only in service with SF and the 75th Ranger RGT. The M231 Firing Port Weapon is also a rarity. That being said, I have been asking about the M249 Para for the US Army for a long time, it appears that BFC is too busy/not concerned about it. As I have said before, the short barrel and collapsing butt stock for the M249 has been the standard for infantry units since pre-2005. Maybe one day we will see it in-game. I hope. Please?