Voodoo5 5500 problem

Hi guys, you seem to have the handle on tech probs so let me fly this one past you...

I have been playing the demo, (just bought the full version but it aint here yet). The demo seems to work fine until I quit the game, then I get this translucent, verticle bar that goes from left to right on my screen. It doesnt go away until I reboot. Sometimes there are some other minor anolomies too.

I have the last driver update from 3DFX's website dated Nov.2000. I also am running DirectX 8.0. This is on a celeron 566mhz system with 64 mb ram and a 17inch samsung monitor.

Any suggestions? Yeah, yeah, I know...get a geforce 2... smile.gif Thanks guys again for any help. pcpilot

Someone reported this problem in the past, but I seem unable to find the thread with the Search function in UBB right now. Unfortunately I can't remember what the resolution was to this problem.

I'm not sure if this driver is any newer than the Nov. 2000 one you already have, but it may be worth downloading and checking out.

x3dfx (click on "drivers" in left side of page and then select your card and OS):

http://www.x3dfx.com/

I'm under the impression that the translucent, strobing vertical bar won't clear up with another set of drivers. What resolution and refresh rate are you currently using ? You may want to delete the CM Prefs file and reselect your resolution (try something different than what you're currently running). You may want to experiment with your FSAA and LOD settings to see if that effects anything.

In response to the original problem, someone may have suggested completely uninstalling the Voodoo drivers and installing them from scratch with the 3dfx Installer.

I am dealing with my own problem now. But I also have the voodoo 5500. In your options for your card. How do you have it set. I had problems similar to yours, when I had the Open GL/Glide, and also I had a problem with CM with the 4 times anti-aliasing.

Here is my suggestion, mess around with your different options (setting) for you card. Then after changing you options, settings, test the change on CM.

Hope this helps

[ 05-02-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

I have been running 1024X760 res. the voodoo card is set at 2x fsaa. I will try some different resolutions tonite and see what happens. I will also try some different settings on the fsaa. Thanks for your replys fellas, hope to do battle with you all soon. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcpilot:

I have been running 1024X760 res. the voodoo card is set at 2x fsaa. I will try some different resolutions tonite and see what happens. I will also try some different settings on the fsaa. Thanks for your replys fellas, hope to do battle with you all soon. ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

Anytime, you wanna have a PBEM, get my e-mail, from my profile, and just let me know.

I look foward to to having a new PBEM opponent.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all but I found the answer I think. I simply go into the 3DFX tools manager and change the DirectX 3D and Glide settings to single chip. Thats it! The game worked fine and and experianced no slow down and I didnt have to change my screen resolution. batta BING! batta BOOM! :cool: Thanks for the help guys, it got me to thinking, a fairly rare comodity... :D I also found that BTS is shipping again...YAAAAAAAA!!! so I hope to battle with you guys soon. cya

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcpilot:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all but I found the answer I think. I simply go into the 3DFX tools manager and change the DirectX 3D and Glide settings to single chip. Thats it! The game worked fine and and experianced no slow down and I didnt have to change my screen resolution. batta BING! batta BOOM! :cool: Thanks for the help guys, it got me to thinking, a fairly rare comodity... :D I also found that BTS is shipping again...YAAAAAAAA!!! so I hope to battle with you guys soon. cya<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

Shatter here

I mentioned before that I also have the Voodoo 5500, I can get the 4x to work but, a little box in the middle of the title screen appears, But the game itself run fine.

Now if I minimize and go to desktop the game screen is all scrambled in 4x, but 4x looks alot better than single chip, I mean way better.

Hope this helps

Shatter out

HI Shatter, yes, I will try the 4x just to see what happens. I do appreciate the fact that BTS made thier game compatable for the slower systems which makes it easier for me to be flexible with my faster system. smile.gif

Hey, I sent a message to you and havent heard back. I would like to play a game with you when you can. Also, I should have the full version soon as BTS is shipping again. Then we can go whole hog, YEEHAAWWW!!!

Ok, here are some likely problems you'll run into.

In the 2d part of the game (briefings, map editting, etc), you'll see drop outs where your cursor appears. Don't know why, just happens. Not a problem as it disappears when you actually play the 3d game.

Single chip looks ugly, but this appears to be the most compatable mode as I have not experienced any problems whatsoever.

Dual chip/no FSAA seems to make the text white and unreadable. Don't do it.

Dual chip/4x FSAA looks absolutely gorgeous. The only problems are 1) When you esc back to the desktop then get back into the game, the 2d text is scrambled, garbled, unreadable, and you're forced to restart. This is most troublesome when playing TCP/IP. 2) For large scenarios with rain, hi resolution mods, smoke, etc, (All or Nothing comes to mind immediately) the vid card memory seems to get swamped and the 3d portion will completely white out. It'll start out with maybe the trees or the houses whiting out first, but eventually the whole screen will. The only fix, other than to not play that scenario, is to go to single chip.

HTH